Pods and Jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods and Jets

Looking for pods for my 82 gs550. I have 52mm openings . The problem is my pods can be no more than 2 7/8" long ( outside pods will hit the frame). Does anyone know of a short pod? Also I'm going to re-jet. Right now I have OE 80 mains. I have read that you should bump them to 100. Is this correct? Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Ret to Ride!

Found the answer on the pods. K&N pt# RC-2382. Still looking for the jet answer.

Comment

Well, the jets come in increments of 5, so you would be going up 4 steps. Seems a bit much for only pods. I would probably start with 90s and do some plug chops. And have more sizes on hand just in case. They are only about $2 each, so it is not a huge expenditure to have multiple sizes on hand.

Comment

Hey Koolaid Kid, whats a plug chop? So you thik goin to 90 with K&N's would be ok?

Comment

This is what a plug chop is: Plug Chop Method
          You have CV carbs, so you do it in the opposite order. Mains first, needles second, idle screw last. A correct main will yield a nice tan colour. Too rich, black. Too lean, white. This is the most dangerous, as a lean condition can hole a piston pretty quickly.

I would start with 90s myself. The plug chop will tell you if it is too large, too small or just right. Every engine is different, which is why I recommend you have jets both larger and smaller than 90 so you can readily change them out and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Well, the jets come in increments of 5, so you would be going up 4 steps.
            If they go up in increments of 5, why can you get 92.5 and 97.5, as well as other "2.5s"?

Some might argue that the 5s are the "full" size, the 2.5s are "half" sizes, but they are available.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok, so I'm ordering jets tomorrow. After further review, I have 92.5 mains in at this time. Should I get 95's and 97.5's or should I start with 97.5's and 100's. I'm pinchin pennies so I can't be buyin jets willy nilly. I really appreciate all the help you all have been

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                If they go up in increments of 5, why can you get 92.5 and 97.5, as well as other "2.5s"?

Some might argue that the 5s are the "full" size, the 2.5s are "half" sizes, but they are available.

Oops. Not again. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerfan474 View Post
                  Looking for pods for my 82 gs550. I have 52mm openings . The problem is my pods can be no more than 2 7/8" long ( outside pods will hit the frame). Does anyone know of a short pod? Also I'm going to re-jet. Right now I have OE 80 mains. I have read that you should bump them to 100. Is this correct? Any help would be great.
                  Thanks
                  Ret to Ride!
                  Those VC carbs are gonna need more than just a set of mains if you're gonna run pods. I'm not sure if Dyno Jet makes a kit for your model but it might be worth looking into.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                  .................________-|___\____
                  ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
                  X