Different air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different air box

When I got my bike a while back, the air box was pretty damaged. I have since bought pods and a jet kit for it to accommodate for this. While trying to tune it, I discovered that, with my limited carb experiance, it is very difficult and I would like to switch back to the air box for now at least.
    In the process of getting my air box out, the box was damaged even more so(1985 gs700e). My airbox seems almost impossible to take out without removing the engine first because it is so large. Is it possible to switch to a smaller airbox off a different model and still have it run fine with the stock needle/jets? My friend has an airbox off an earlier 750 that look almost the same but it's going to be a b**ch and a half to get it in without damaging it.
    I'm sure a lot of you are going to say I told you so for trying to switch over to pods but I usually don't learn my lesson until my own money is on the line . So lesson learned there and if you guys could get back to me on the air box I would greatly appreciate it.

Can't help you by suggesting which airbox, but those things are designed with a particular frame and engine in mind, as well as flow charactreristics, so you are pretty much limited to a bike that has similar engine size and frame shape. Probably best to just wrestle the stock box back in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright thanks, Its just, even with the carbs and boots off, there doesn't appear to be even close to enough room to fit it in. I say on bass cliffs site about how to remove the air box on the 850gt, and the air box looked so much smaller and I was just curious if anyone had done this before. Thanks again for the information.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/member.php?u=8891 says he got one in without taking the engine out.I have an almost complete 83 750 boxhere.PM for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcTavish View Post
          Alright thanks, Its just, even with the carbs and boots off, there doesn't appear to be even close to enough room to fit it in. I say on bass cliffs site about how to remove the air box on the 850gt, and the air box looked so much smaller and I was just curious if anyone had done this before. Thanks again for the information.
          Not sure how much different your airbox, is, but I can verify that the 850 and 1000 shafty airboxes can be removed rather quickly. In fact, less than five minutes from putting the bike on the centerstand, I can hand you the airbox, including time to get the tools out of the toolbox.

EDIT: Just looked your airbox on a parts fiche and found yet another reason I like my shafties.

Last edited by Steve; 04-21-2012, 02:39 PM.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/member.php?u=8891 says he got one in without taking the engine out.I have an almost complete 83 750 boxhere.PM for more info.
            I'll have to ask him how he did it. One of my friends has a replacement one that he would sell me for about $5, but thanks anyway

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Not sure how much different your airbox, is, but I can verify that the 850 and 1000 shafty airboxes can be removed rather quickly. In fact, less than five minutes from putting the bike on the centerstand, I can hand you the airbox, including time to get the tools out of the toolbox.

EDIT: Just looked your airbox on a parts fiche and found yet another reason I like my shafties.

Ha yeah thanks lol. I'm trying to convince my dad to get a newer gold wing and for him to give me his old one then I would make it a naked bike. Then I too would have a shafty.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcTavish View Post
              I'll have to ask him how he did it. One of my friends has a replacement one that he would sell me for about $5, but thanks anyway
              No problem,shipping from Canada would be $$ anyway.If you can get one local I'm cool.

Comment

I read through some of his posts, and it looks like I have to options. Either splitting the air box into and ghetto gluing it back together or taking the whole motor out. Smh come on suzuki. YU NO FORETHOUGHT ON MY BIKE?!

Comment

Yeah that is pretty much the conclusion I came to.Then forgot to put the box in before I put the motor in the first time.My wife was really happy with having to redo it

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                    Yeah that is pretty much the conclusion I came to.Then forgot to put the box in before I put the motor in the first time.My wife was really happy with having to redo it
                    Ha that sucks. Well now that I have 2 boxes and one is already split, I'm gonna try and glue it back together while its in the frame. I hope it works so I can move onto my next issue

Comment

Working...
                    X