right track/multi issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right track/multi issues???

Pulled carbs multiple times. Finally replaced all 'O' rings, (thank you Mr. Barr). When I installed the carbs # 1 and 2 leaked immediately when petcock was turned to prime. Pulled them out again and readjusted floats. I noticed that the float needle springs were dropping by 50% which makes adjustment difficult. Just for kicks I weighted the floats and found them all to be different. They look pretty mottled too. Will probably order new floats and needles. In the mean time bike will run. Hard to start and floods out if you use anything except the choke to start. Plugs are as follows: #1 tan tip and sooty edges, all others are light gray tip and sooty edges.

Second issue: When starting I notice that the pipes heat up at very different times. 1 is first, 4 second followed by 3 then 2. I would assume this is a coil issue.

Would it be smarter to fix the carb issue first or what?

I would insert pictures but I haven't figured out just how.

I would certainly get the carbs sorted first. May be nothing more than too much fuel and a slight flooding. Also, you should ONLY use just the choke to start the bike. NO throttle.

Have you checked the valve lash yet?

Comment

Staying with the carbs. Tomorrow I will Sync them and see how that goes. Need to wait till dusk to use the color tune since I don't have garage to work in. What is the tolerance for the float needle springs?

Comment

"Second issue: When starting I notice that the pipes heat up at very different times. 1 is first, 4 second followed by 3 then 2. I would assume this is a coil issue. "

More likely do to carb problem -too much fuel, so it takes a while for some cylinders to run cleanly
        Next time you have carbs off for float adjustment fun, don't reinstall them- hold them in normal position they have on bike, rig up fuel supply, and see if any carbs leak fuel- the float shutoffs should hold back gas for at least 15 minutes if not longer.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sounds like a long day tomorrow, but after 30+ years of not riding it's still worth it - maybe.

Comment

dirty tank and white fuzz in carb bowls

Pulled the carbs and found all kinds of junk in the bowls. Looks like old varnish but wasn't sure where it came from. Taking a wild guess I pulled the tank, petcock and sending unit and cleaned that up. Waiting on new float needles. 2 won't hold the float up anymore. Inside the bowls I found what looked like white fuzz, or better yet oxidation of the aluminum? is this possible? I cleaned it out and oiled the metal but what causes this?

Comment

Working...
            X