backfiring, exhaust leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backfiring, exhaust leak

so my bike seems to run pretty sweet but it backfires what seems like before the baffles in the exhaust and i noticed a air leak where the exhaust slips together under the foot pegs. is there a o ring in there or something i could replace. doesnt seem to hurt performance its just annoying. there stock pipes.

thanks

If you just reinstalled carbs after cleaning, best to make sure all cylinders are firing - possible to have a non firing cylinder dumping unburned mixture down pipe and when it hits hot gas from the adjoining one..... etc.
    Make sure you check petcock for correct operation.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes, I believe there is a gasket there. Go to an on-line vendor such as bikebandit.com and search the parts fiche for engine and exhaust: Exhaust parts fiche

Comment

i had a dead cylinder when i was first trying to get it running and it would barely run and not idle. it runs perfect so its not that. petcock works. i think its just the leak in the exhaust. thanks for the link koolaid i couldnt find a gasket on there though.

thanks guys.

Comment

I do believe what you're referring to might be No. 7, can't describe the material but it's like a hardened asbestos ring that fits under the clamp.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
          X