Idle issues with 77' GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle issues with 77' GS 750

Hey everyone I bought a 77' GS 750 this Fall and Im having many issues with getting it to idle properly and accelerate. I'm new to GS750 so any advice of common issues with this bike would be helpful. Anyway the issues the bike seems to be having is running rich idling semi okay and then over time it slowly dies down from idle. It also bogs if I give it full throttle quickly. Then it does not hold a steady idle at all if I rev it. So I decided to rebuild the carbs (I bought all new o-rings and gaskets) and clean them out. I also tried adjusting the main needle while I had it out. The main needle was at the lowest setting to be as rich as possible before so I set the clip in the middle the 3rd level. Put the carbs back in bike and the bike did not start. So I set them at the 4th clip level (between the orignal setting and what I set it at). The bike starts fine now but it still has all the previous issues. I believe all the jets are the same stock except for the main is a 105. Also the bike came with pods which I thought would lean out the mixture!? I've tested coils and spark plugs and they are fine. The bike is also misfiring a little but this could be because the exhaust is not fully on as I had some of head bolts snapped in the engine block on me. These carbs have not be tuned but I didn't want to tune them until I had these issues fixed. So what I'm asking now is where do I begin!? Tune the carbs? I heard something with changing shims? Also I have heard check the timing?

I will PM you my number..call me
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X