Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Mufflers

Bike as it sits the other day.

Stock exhaust is way to quiet for me. I need some insight and recommendations on exhausts.

Keeping the factory header pipes and swapping the mufflers... Does anyone have any recommendations for a muffler that's not " ricey " for example on my car I have a Borla exhaust... Also in swapping my muffler, do I have to worry about re-jetting? Or that's only if I was changing the header pipes as well?

Thank you for your help and suggestions. Also does anyone know the diameter of the stock exhaust for a 1979 GS 550E?

Jetting "should" be OK with just a muffler change. May require a bit of a tweak here and there but no jetting should be required.

As for brand, Yosh would be my first choice. Kerker would be #2 but keep in mind that they will sound a bit more raspy than the stock.
    I'm nopt a fan of Mac pipes. Just don't like the sound...

Comment

I put a set of Dunstalls on my 850 (were $60 each, lots of places sell them) a lot louder than stock (too loud so I sold them to a friend that is cafeing his 78 750. He loves them. They've got a good loud rumble to them. He didn't have to rejet his 750 nor did I need to on my 850.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
        I put a set of Dunstalls on my 850 (were $60 each, lots of places sell them) a lot louder than stock (too loud so I sold them to a friend that is cafeing his 78 750. He loves them. They've got a good loud rumble to them. He didn't have to rejet his 750 nor did I need to on my 850.
        Do you remember the diameters you purchased?

Was it similar to these?

Thanks for the input!

Comment

It was these ones

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Although I see a lot of guys putting the reverse ones on the cafe bikes. Not sure of the sound difference. Can't remember the diameter, I had them welded onto my headers but SVsooke did one smarter and had a fella weld an adapter into his header then he just clamps his revers cone muffler to that adapter. Wayyyy better, then you can swap out your mufflers as you want.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
          X