How are #3 & 4 carbs linked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are #3 & 4 carbs linked

Are the carbs for numbers three and four cylinders connected in any way other than the gas feed and linkage? Perhaps a vacuum line?

I have a 78 GS750E that has been sitting idle inside a heated building for the last 18 months or so. Ran when it was put up.

The two right side cylinders don't work until the revs are pretty high. This made me suspect a vacuum issue. Clogged jets? I really don't want to go through the hassle of pulling and dipping the carbs.

I pull the bowls to see what jets I can access from the bottom.

Thanks

Originally posted by RetroRice View Post
    I really don't want to go through the hassle of pulling and dipping the carbs.
    Thanks
    No offense, you don't want help, you want a shortcut, there are none, we're not being a$$es when we tell people to go through the carbs for a full clean and dip with new o-rings, especially after sitting that long, it's just whats needed, sorry, when the old fuel varnishes, it doesn't just do it where you can see when you pull the bowls, it all the tiny little holes in the emulsion tubes, pilots, jets, everywhere you don't see that gets clogged too.
    I think most people think it terribly hard or expensive to go through these carbs, it's not that bad, and after you get your o-rings, you could be 48 hours or so from hearing roar to life again instead of weeks of frustration.
    And you'll get plenty of real help if you stumble along the way.

Comment

In answer to your question, yes, there is a vent tube between the two carbs, as well as the fuel feed, "choke" linkage and throttle linkage.

The vent tube would not cause the symptoms you are experiencing, it's simply a matter of time spent sitting.

Old_skool has it right, bite the bullet, take a couple of days to do it right, enjoy your ride.

If you have to park it for any length of time, "winterize" it properly and you will not have this problem again.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sell the bike and buy a Toyota.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Stop it Ed, I just ate breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Hey, they have problems, too, but that's all I have owned for over 38 years now.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Not that this thread was going anywhere anyway, I'd love to say I buy American...but whats American these days I tend to buy the classics, Mustangs, Camaro's etc, just can't seem to grow up.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Well of course I wanted shortcuts.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

Comment

Honesty, I like that! Really, if you decide to tear into the carbs, and need help, please post.

Comment

It's all about time ...

Old ... thanks for the offer to help with the carbs. First that I rebuilt were Amal Monoblocs, then Concentrics, then whatever was bolted to a 79 XLH.
                    I broke down last year and payed to have those from my 76 CB750 rebuilt.

I, like most of you, often just don't have the time to do things the correct way. I guess I'll have to pull and dip the carbs when I get a chance. We are in the process of moving. I can't see my garage floor or work benches because they are covered by boxes and etcetera.

My GS is a $450 rat bike that I got because I wanted something to ride while the Honda is being put together. Never paid much attention to or owned Suzuki before. The more familiar I become with it the more I like how it is built. Can't wait to take it out and scare myself silly on it.

I know you do things the right way. You are really going to cringe when I post a picture of my fix for the leaking petcock.

Comment

Salutations old skool,
                      I finally started on the carb boil adventure. The 10 page carb rebuild tutorial from this forum is pinned to the garage wall and I'm ready to craw around on the floor trying to find that last dropped part.

This 78 750 has a pair of 2 into one pipes and K&N pods. I believe the stock jets have been changed to accommodate these changes.

Thanks for the offer to help.

Comment

Throttle Pulley Follies

Hi old_school,

Mr. know it all here. I'm going to take you up on your offer to help with the carb rebuild.

I am not clever enough to figure out how to replace the throttle pulley on the throttle shaft.

The choke shaft is out of the way yet I don't see how part of the pulley will fit between the carb and cast protrusion on the backing/mounting plate.

Thanks,
                        Rice

PS: When taking the carbs apart I discovered numerous loose screws as well as three missing springs.

Comment

Originally posted by RetroRice View Post
                          Hi old_school,

Mr. know it all here. I'm going to take you up on your offer to help with the carb rebuild.

I am not clever enough to figure out how to replace the throttle pulley on the throttle shaft.

The choke shaft is out of the way yet I don't see how part of the pulley will fit between the carb and cast protrusion on the backing/mounting plate.

Thanks,
                          Rice

PS: When taking the carbs apart I discovered numerous loose screws as well as three missing springs.

Remove Throttle Shaft
                          1. Remove the throttle pulley spring.
                          2. Remove the carb tops.
                          3. Remove the stopper plate–note the little pin on one side.
                          4. Remove the bolts that mount to the throttle shaft. One bolt holds the throttle cable pulley on the shaft and the other 4 are under the carb tops.
                          5. Take off the outside rubber plugs and push the throttle shaft out. It helps to twist as you pull.
                          6. Take out the 4 slide assemblies. Keep them in order so they can be returned to the same carb body.

please download and review this tutorial first, post pics of any problem areas, and several 750 owners will probably help as well, my carbs are different, as all my bikes have the BS34 series, so you'll need to follow a slightly different procedure for your bike here--> http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf

Here's a micro fiche which may help to determine if your missing parts http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs750-b-...048/partslist/
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Here's the manual chapter 7 carb tutorial to download -->http://www.4shared.com/office/MNnNwi...l?refurl=d1url

Comment

Thanks ... I have the tutorial you reference printed and taped above the work bench. It has been very helpful.

It is during the reassembly that I am having the difficulty.

Initially I put the throttle shaft in place without placing the throttle pulley on the shaft. When I realized my error I withdrew the shaft to the point that it was out of the way. There is some basic procedure I am failing to do that I'm sure will come to me if I stare at the parts for a day or three.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X