Carb Cleaning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Cleaning...

I bought my '82 GS750t in the fall of last year with plans of getting it ready to ride during the winter. Well, winter has come and gone and I just started taking the carbs apart. I did pretty well, I think, for my first time with anything mechanical. I'm kind of stuck, however, at the dismantling of these CV carbs.

I'm following Mr. Nessism's guide from BikeCliff's web page and ran across a couple things as I disassembled the carburetors. First it was obvious that they had been taken apart before. No caps over the pilot screws, missing pilot screw o-rings and washers, destroyed screws(One I'm still working on), and main jets sitting on the needle jet(not screwed in).

Anyway, my first question is about the rubber pilot jet plugs. Well, mine didn't have any of these, but was instead covered with a screw that I removed with an allen wrench. Is this normal for this model or do I need to order some rubber pilot jet plugs? See pics below.

My second question is about the float needles and seats. I cannot remove the seats...I've sprayed with PB blaster a couple times and let them sit. Still, they won't budge. Any tips?

Also, the float needles are pretty rough. Is this set from Z1 ok, quality wise? http://www.z1enterprises.com/Mikunit...maha-1965.aspx

Thanks!

EDIT: MORE PROBLEMS BELOW!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 03:59 PM. Reason: more descriptive title.

Wow. I've only seen screw in plugs like that on early BSes off a yammie XS1100.

Comment

@TheCafeKid,
      Do they work the same as the rubber ones?

Comment

Today's Update:

Finally got the last stubborn screw out (float seat plate) and have the float seats soaking in PB blaster. After looking at the pilot and main jets, I've noticed some problems.

According to this, my main jet is supposed to be 112.5, however the ones I have say 100. I think my pilot jets are the correct size, but I need to get a magnifying glass to be sure.

So, for today's questions:

I have a V&N 4 into 1 and, after looking at their recommendations, I don't know what size my jets should be. Any ideas as to what sizes to get?

Assuming that I need to purchase at least main jets and pilot jets, I have been price checking. Are the jets sold at Z1 ok in quality?

Also, if anyone has any info on the metal pilot jet plugs or tips to remove float seats, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website:

Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs

Yes, Z1 sells good stuff. If you have not modified the intake system and added only a 4-n-1, then perhaps a size or two larger is all that's needed for the main jet. For the midrange, a specially tapered jet needle (like what comes in the Dyno Jet kits) makes tuning the midrange much easier. Plug chops will tell the story.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. m3talst0rm,

It seems I have not properly welcomed you so let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, BassCliff.

Well, here we are a couple months later and my carbs are coming together nicely. I've also adjusted the valves and discovered a seemingly new dyna s ignition the po installed. As far as the carbs go, I've upped the main jets a few steps and have the carb bodies almost assembled. But, again, I've ran into another hiccup.

I'm missing a spring from a pilot screw/air screw as seen below.

My problem is that I cannot find this on the parts fiche at Boulevard .

I found this at z1 but they call it a Fuel Mixture Screw (Same thing?) and it costs around $12 bucks for the screw, washer, o ring, and spring. I just need the spring.

Is there any way to get these cheaper or to order through a suzuki shop? (I gotta order some OEM parts anyway and could just tack it on to the rest of my order).

Thanks for all of the help here...Hope to get my 750t on the road before my birthday 7/17.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by m3talst0rm View Post

I'm missing a spring from a pilot screw/air screw as seen below.

I found this at z1 but they call it a Fuel Mixture Screw (Same thing?) and it costs around $12 bucks for the screw, washer, o ring, and spring. I just need the spring.

Is there any way to get these cheaper or to order through a suzuki shop? (I gotta order some OEM parts anyway and could just tack it on to the rest of my order).
                You can use a spring out of a pen - it'll do the same job (it's only there to stop the screw winding in or out and to keep the washer pushed down). Or pop down your local bike shop - they'll have something lying around that will fit.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  You can use a spring out of a pen - it'll do the same job (it's only there to stop the screw winding in or out and to keep the washer pushed down). Or pop down your local bike shop - they'll have something lying around that will fit.
                  Thanks for the suggestions. Since an ink pen spring is so long, if I choose to use that as a replacement, should I cut it down to a smaller size? Does it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by m3talst0rm View Post
                    Thanks for the suggestions. Since an ink pen spring is so long, if I choose to use that as a replacement, should I cut it down to a smaller size? Does it matter?
                    You will probably have to cut it down quite a bit. You are trying to set it so that at 2 turns or so out on the mixture screw you have a bit of spring pressure exerted on the screw.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                    X