GS550m Carb Synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550m Carb Synch

Hi peeps, wondering if anyone can shed some light on my 550 Katana problem.

Got some carb synch dials and one of those long screwdriver/socket tools to adjust and balance the carbs. Only problem i have is trying to get to the centre adjusting screw, which is positioned in such a place as to make it impossible to get at by virtue of the fact the choke is in the way as is the top brace of the frame.

Anyone got any tips as to how to get at it ?

Cheers

Pete

I ran into the same problem doing my 550 on the weekend. the only way I could get at it is with an open end wrench and a "stubby" screwdriver. The standard small wrenches (8mm I believe) is actually too short and you have to use some manual dexterity to get it in there to hold the nut whilst turning the screw. It wasn't easy, especially if you have big mitts.

Welcome aboard by the way. Where are you, what is your history and plans for the bike? Any pics of the ride? Please share if you have some as we love looking at bikes

Cheers,
    Spyug

Comment

Watcha mate

Thanks for the reply. Glad I am not the only one to have these sort of problems.

Will post some more later - gotta get the kids from school

Pete

Comment

Another option is to remove the offending mechanism for the duration of your sync job.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Another option is to remove the offending mechanism for the duration of your sync job.

Indeed, just weld the top brace back onto the frame when the synch is done. Oh wait . . .

Actually, I have the same issue on my 750. The long combo tool does not quite fit into any good access window for the No. 2 carb. If I just need to do a tiny adjustment there, I can get it at an angle, sort of. Otherwise, I just switch to a small 8mm wrench and short flathead screw driver to deal with that slide.

It sucks replacing the tops on those center carbs also, for the same reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
            Indeed, just weld the top brace back onto the frame when the synch is done. Oh wait . . .
            He said the "choke" was in the way. THAT is the "offending mechanism".

I have had no problems getting around the frame on my 850s and 1000, the tool will work on a bit of an angle, not sure about his 550, though.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              He said the "choke" was in the way. THAT is the "offending mechanism".

Only problem i have is trying to get to the centre adjusting screw . . . by virtue of the fact the choke is in the way as is the top brace of the frame.
              Heh.

But, yes, the tool generally works at an angle, it's just more prone to slip when you are re-tightening the locknut. So keep a sharp eye on the vacuum gauges to make sure you don't knock them out of synch.

Comment

Ha Ha sussed it.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                X