VM carbs, fuel passafe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carbs, fuel passafe question

78 gs750e. Started to tear apart my carbs this afternoon and now i got some questions. I would like to replace the fuel line that connects between the carbs, the "T" leaks if its not pushed in all the way to one side . they are rubber coated with what appears to be a brass pipe on the inside, would one from 80-83 gs750 work? Where can i get a replacement for these guys? Or is there a fix for the existing ones?
    Thanks You,

The one from the newer carbs is a different size, so probably would not work.

Many of us have had modest success with several wraps of Teflon tape around the ends of the T before putting it into the carbs.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy_Russian View Post
      78 gs750e. Started to tear apart my carbs this afternoon and now i got some questions. I would like to replace the fuel line that connects between the carbs, the "T" leaks if its not pushed in all the way to one side . they are rubber coated with what appears to be a brass pipe on the inside, would one from 80-83 gs750 work? Where can i get a replacement for these guys? Or is there a fix for the existing ones?
      Thanks You,
      Z1 do a beautiful replacement and if you have purchased a set of o-rings from Mr Barr you'll have better o-rings ready to go on.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
        Z1 do a beautiful replacement and if you have purchased a set of o-rings from Mr Barr you'll have better o-rings ready to go on.
        They are very nice, and they come with orings, but the cross section diameter is incorrect, too large. And unfortunately last I looked Z1 was out of stock on them as well. Teflon tape may work as a temporary solution. I'd also try soaking them in gasoline to cause the rubber to swell a little, and another member suggested this in combination with rubbing vaseline on them, and it seemed to work. I would give it a shot on my own carbs, but if I were doing someone else, I'd replace them

Comment

I have had a few stop leaking when the fuel swells up the rubber.
          I am also tempted to buy a small metal lathe and start cranking out new fuel Ts for everyone on the forum.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            They are very nice, and they come with orings, but the cross section diameter is incorrect, too large.
            Hmmm, I recently installed a set (T connector and the other two) from Z1 and have been running perfectly. The Barr kit comes with o-rings for the connectors and they are far better quality than the ones which come from Z1.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              I have had a few stop leaking when the fuel swells up the rubber.
              I am also tempted to buy a small metal lathe and start cranking out new fuel Ts for everyone on the forum.
              Me too... Once I get everything caught up money wise, a small bench lathe and a bench mount 24" metal break are on the top of my list. Fuel Ts, transfer tubes, fork spring spacers, shock bushes, etc are all on my list. I might even crank out some hollow axles and Ti spacers for you "light weight" freaks like me

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                Hmmm, I recently installed a set (T connector and the other two) from Z1 and have been running perfectly. The Barr kit comes with o-rings for the connectors and they are far better quality than the ones which come from Z1.
                That's what I meant. The parts themselves are awesome, just the orings included with them are to "fat" for the bodies. I installed Roberts instead and they're perfect.

Comment

soacking it did work a few years ago, but i dont want to deal with this anymore and would rather get it done right. i measured my old T compared to Z1's unit, they are almost identical, so i think ill give it a shot, if not, my friend has a lathe and we might come up with something. I did order a kit from mr Barr, (hes a wonderful person to do business with) so waiting for that to arrive. Also my Pilot Screw (at least one) the tip is snapped off inside the carb, so i have some fun ahead of me right now carb #1 is soaking in vinegar after being washed with kerosine and dish detergent

Comment

got the tip out, checked the other ones, they were ok, getting all new Pilot screws (the other ones are chewed up) and base gaskets from Z1.
                    dose anyone have a source for new carb body screws? i would like to convert those to alen head and Ace hardware wants $1.10 each

Comment

Any metric fastener supply house has them, probably about 100 for three or four bucks.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They sell sets of screws, don't buy them singly. I searched but could not find any threads, but someone will chime in with a link.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          That's what I meant. The parts themselves are awesome, just the orings included with them are to "fat" for the bodies. I installed Roberts instead and they're perfect.
                          Sorry TCK, I misunderstood you. Initially I tried fitting the part with the Z1 o-rings and chewed them up while doing so. I thought it just me being ham-fisted. I was about to buy another set when I realized I already had a set from Mr Barr. And then.......perfection.
                          -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

where can i order a set of Pilot screws? doesn't look like Z1 has them

Comment

z-1 has them but they are kawasaki style. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4743

Comment

Working...
                              X