Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bs36 1135 jetting w/cheap pods ??

Hi GS friends,
    Thanks for a great forum and greetings from Norway to all the helpful members here!
    I have been in and out of this forum a couple of times due to my low activity in winter-season, re-register every springtime is a must when interest for my old Suzuki returns.
    I have a 1980 GS with a 1984 1135cm3 and Mikuni BS36 00A00 carburetor, 4 into 2 standard exhaust pipes.
    Now I have removed the stock air box (stupid guy you might say) and put on some cheap pods.
    Well, since I only drive in nice weather and the air box was in bad shape I decided to learn more about jetting, and I am sure I will. I intend to restore the air box and put it back if I have to, but right now I will try to make the bike run with the pods. I think the carburetors are with original settings, time will show if PO syndrome pops up.
    00A00 426 is marked seen from top on left side of bowls so I expect to find similar to what this excellent listing shows in the fifth line from bottom. I don’t know what 426 means. Serial no?

Link below to the jpg with Suzuki GS Carburetor Stock Factory Specifications V 1.3
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/images/carbspec_float_height.html

With the pods and no air box the motor idle nice, but from ¼ throttle and up it do not follow and falls down. E.g. if i go to 3000rpm and keep this throttle pos, the rpm will start to decrease.
    It seems to run to lean and would like to have some guidance by first selecting larger main jets (now 120).
    Unsure, but if I have to I will also a try to find new pilot air jets (now 125), recommendations please?

Clip position is 2nd groove from the top according to Haynes. Guess I have to reposition this down to rich up the circuit or?
    The Needle jet X-5 and Jet needle 5D59-2 controls from about ¼ and up to ¾ and might need change?

Many questions from a newbie.. Guess some will say I should buy a DJ or similar, if so what set will fit? Others will say put back the stock air box and go riding! Yes, maybe I will in the end.

Right now I am reading this interesting page
    http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

Regards
    Espen

DJ kit # 3133 is the one you need.

Comment

DJ kit # 3133

Hi,
      It says "Using the drill bit provided

(DD #32) enlarge the slide lift holes (Fig. A). "

Is this a non-reversible operation?

I found a link on EBAY, is this the same as DJ kit # 3133 ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320888283607...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

Yes, drilling the hole makes it non-reversible. That kit looks like the same one I just got from Z-1. Should work fine.
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

DJ kit # 3133

Thanks for that info..i will have to reconcider since i am not sure about successs and there will be no way back to original stock setting w/ original air box.

Comment

I was able to reverse it by using jb weld and redrilling it smaller.

Comment

Air intake box

Can anyone tell me if there is differences between a air box for 1135 /1150 and a air box for a 1100? Since i use a CV 36 carb i try to verify if my air box type is correct. I have a 1980 1100 frame and 1984 1135 engine. I will serach for some numbers on it tomorrow.
              Regards
              Espen

Comment

Air intake box type, does it suit 1135/1150?

I did not find any number on my box, and nothing in the 1150 section of Haynes either.

Is this air box for a 1100 or 1135/1150? pictures attached

What about a library of various air box'es here in this forum?

Comment

Regards
                  espen

Comment

I could buy this for about $100, would this suit my 1135 engine better then the one i have already??

the one i have is shown in previous reply from me..

Regards
                    Espen

Comment

I belive my air box is for a 1100CM3 engine. Wonder if it will be wort testing with the one i found on Ebay..

or maybe buy the DJ and try with cheap pods..

pods:

I tried to wrestle my air box back today, did not make it.
                      Ended up lowering from 2 to 3groove on the needles. I wonder if this will bee a bit better. Anyway i will test it with the pods i have. Mains are stock 120 . Should i try 125 or 128 maybe.

Comment

9$ EACH for those plus shipping?
                        I picked up a used set of K&N's for about $50
                        The DJ kit comes with a 138 DJ main for pods and header, a 138 is around a 127.5 mikuni.

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                          9$ EACH for those plus shipping?
                          I picked up a used set of K&N's for about $50
                          The DJ kit comes with a 138 DJ main for pods and header, a 138 is around a 127.5 mikuni.
                          130 Mikuni actually...

The question of the airbox compatibility will be whether or not it will mount in your frame. The 1100 US model had an entirely different frame from the euro 1100/US 1150..

Comment

Hi,
                            gearhead13,tnx, is it a must with K&N..what is the diferrence between K&N and these cheap type?

7189GS,tnx, i believe i was not clear in my question. It was about different characteristic between a 1100 and a 1150 air box connected to BS36 00A00 carb.

TheCafeKid, you helped me some years ago with starter clutch tnx! I now lifted the original jet needle 5D59 by lowering to 3groove from top. I know this is not the tapering like on a DJ jet needle but will i have some improvement with this and about 128 main jet and cheap pods?

This fits as a unit in my 1980 frame, it’s just a matter of wrestling/tec to assemble it in the frame..
                            BS 36 carb and 1100 air box. Does the air box characteristic fit the carb is the question ?

Regards
                            espen

Comment

Working...
                            X