Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS110X506158 View Post
    Hi,
    gearhead13,tnx, is it a must with K&N..what is the diferrence between K&N and these cheap type?

Regards
    espen
    K&N are known to be solid. There may be another brand that people have had success with. Maybe EMGO?

In any event, the cheapo pod filters have inconsistent airflow. The K&N pods let in a lot of air, but do so consistently. Thus, you need to rejet for more air, but your increased airflow won't be all over the place. I've heard of some people having cheap pods yield even less air than a stock box.

Spend more for the quality pods, they'll last forever if you periodically clean and re-oil them.

Comment

Do you think this is EMGO, looks like to me.
      pods:
      See picture

If someone have a link for K&N pod that will suit BS36 with 54mm OD on the carb inlet side, please post.

You state that other cheap filters have inconsistent air-flow..how is that possible? Do you mean that the small holes is uneven distributed on the or.. please explain
      Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM. Reason: broken link

Comment

One New 54mm Chrome End Clamp On Air Filter

If you are looking for a great looking, high performance alternative to the stock air filter on your bike take a look at this air filter! It is made to be clamped directly to the back of your carb. By installing a filter on each carb you reduce restriction from the air box and, allow each cylinder to breathe on its own. Not only does the engine breathe better, the chrome on the filter makes it look better too.
        • Specifications
        • 54mm Inside Diameter
        • Comes with clamp
        • Taper sides
        • 3" diameter at base
        • 2" Diameter at top
        • 3" Tall
        • Chrome end cap
        • Washable No Oil design
        • Should Fit:
        • Honda
        • CB550 SC
        • CB750 K,F
        • CB900 to 1982
        • CB1000
        • CBX1050
        • Kawasaki
        • GPZ750
        • GPZ900
        • KZ750 LTD
        • KZ1000
        • KZ1100
        • Suzuki
        • All GS 650cc to 1150cc 1980-85
        • Yamaha
        • XJ550
        • XJ900
        • FJ600
        • FJ1100
        • XS1100 1980-81
        • FJ1200 1993
        Before you purchase please compare the specs of this filter to your bike's and see if it will fit. In order to figure out what size you need measure the outside diameter of your carb where your current air cleaner mounts and that is the size diameter you need. Then make sure that the height of this air filter will fit your bike as well.

Note if you have mutiple carburetors you will need a filter for each carb.

Comment

Originally posted by GS110X506158 View Post
          Do you think this is EMGO, looks like to me.
          pods:

If someone have a link for K&N pod that will suit BS36 with 54mm OD on the carb inlet side, please post.

You state that other cheap filters have inconsistent air-flow..how is that possible? Do you mean that the small holes is uneven distributed on the or.. please explain
          Crappy filter media and/or cut-rate manufacturing produce filters that are not uniform in performance. Bad filter media may absorb too much oil and clog. Poor manufacturing may cause gaps between the filter media and the rubber bits that leak air. I'm no engineer, but too many people here have enjoyed nothing but aggravation from cheap pod filters.

Well built respected pod filters that provide steady airflow make jetting hard enough. No reason to pile more headaches on the process just to save a few shekels.

These look like the K&N pods for your carbs (i.e., with a 54mm ID)
          Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks MisterCinders, i will call the local dealer next week to get the price. I understand that it will be cleaner air with this media instead of just oiled old-style steel web. On the other hand i can not understand that steel web is not uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              K&N are known to be solid. There may be another brand that people have had success with. Maybe EMGO?
              EMGO are the bad ones, just a screen like a flour sifter. They let a lot of sand in, but not a lot of airflow. K&N or APE are the ones to use. The airflow problem is that there is a square corner inside the cheap pods, as air flow speeds up, so does turbulence around the corner. Also why they don't flow much air. Good pods have a small velocity stack shape cast into the body of the pod, so the airflow is much more uniform.

The sand coming through the cheap screen is a bigger worry.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have bought the K&N rc-0984 to hopefully have no dirt in the carbs from air.
                Anyway, now with the one clip down on the original jet-needle and new main jet 128 it runs very nice (even with these EMGO). So i guess i don't need dynajets. I had the bike on a tour today, about 200km .. feels good. I normally keep speed limits, but to test a bit it followed up to my limits without any fault. I had about 7000rpm on 5'th and this is much faster then i believe i need. The sparkplugs looks good also-nice tan color. Hopefully there is not more restrictions in the K&N's that will mess up. Never change a winning team..but i still have the possibillity to put back original air-box.

Comment

Guess i have to buy Dynajets now..

I replaced the EMGO with the K&N..to much air and wrong tapered needle i guess because it did not follow up on the trottle. Then i put back the EMGO again the bike is fresh again. CV 36mm, one clip down on the original jet-needle and new main jet 128. Thinking about sand or dirt is now my worries for running like this.
                  So my conclusion is that its fully possible to run with the cheap pods, new mains and lifted needles on the 36mm carb, but with the K&N's i would need to do Dynajet convert i guess

Comment

Working...
                  X