Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1977 GS550 Can Bad fuel petcock cause fuel to dump out of overflow hoses????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 Can Bad fuel petcock cause fuel to dump out of overflow hoses????

1977 GS550 had fuel dumping out the overflow hoses on idle...removed tank to tear carbs down AGAIN and started it with tank off...did not overflow at all idled excellent....put tank back on and ... dumped fuel out overflows again....can it be the tank petcock causing the trouble?? carbs were taken off and cleaned ... taken off and checked and set float height....WITS END bike runs gr8 and is excellent shape but its really getting under my skin!!!!!!

Yes. If your petcock is failing and dumping fuel down the vacuum line, it will overwhelm the needles, flood the engine, etc.

First - CHECK YOUR OIL. If it's got a gas smell or you see the oil level has increase in the sight window - DO NOT START THE BIKE until you change the oil and filter. Gassy oil can do bad things to an engine. If in doubt on the smell, change the oil and filter anyway.

Once you sort that out, see if the problem repeats with the petcock on PRIME and the vacuum line plugged. ALso check your vacuum line for fuel.

Comment

Aftermarket Petcock 4 1977 GS550??

can the petcock be changed to a regular gravity fed one....or is there somewhere to get a petcock for a reasonable price???

Comment

Hi,

The Pingel unit is a popular replacement if you're looking for a manual petcock. Z1 also sells an adapter plate if you need one. DO NOT forget to turn off your manual petcock when you turn off the motor.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Or you can purchase another OEM vacuum unit, not worry about turning the petcock off every time, and go another 30+ years. Dealer's choice. I went OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            Or you can purchase another OEM vacuum unit, not worry about turning the petcock off every time, and go another 30+ years. Dealer's choice. I went OEM.
            Yeah, a new OEM petcock is not that much more expensive than a new aftermarket model. I was looking at an OEM for my bike at about $85.

Comment

GS550 petcock

is there such a thing as a fix it right re-build kit for my 1977GS550 fuel petcock???? and if so wat needs to be included???

Comment

Originally posted by PAGS550 View Post
                is there such a thing as a fix it right re-build kit for my 1977GS550 fuel petcock???? and if so wat needs to be included???
                I picked up an OEM unit on sale from Boulevard Suzuki for ~ $35.00 a little while back. Most of the threads on rebuilding petcocks have not ended well.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by PAGS550 View Post
                  Skip the rebuild- follow this link and see IF he MIGHT have the correct one for you somewhere. Mine was $45 delivered- such a deal! You need to know bolt centerline spacing
                  and where the nipples face to avoid interference.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                  X