When should the reserve kick in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When should the reserve kick in?

My tank has a 4.2 gal capacity but I had to switch over to the reserve with better than a gallon left. I've been researching but have been unable to find out if that's the norm or not. Anyone retro a fuel gauge onto their older bikes? Call me spoiled by my car but I miss that piece of info. (yes I know I can use the trip-o-meter)

Yes, that's about the right time for reserve to kick in. Most bikes have about a gallon reserve, some more, some less.

What's wrong with popping the cap and peering into the tank while sloshing gently from side to side? It's an age-old motorcycling ritual
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      What's wrong with popping the cap and peering into the tank while sloshing gently from side to side? It's an age-old motorcycling ritual
      Yea I did that a couple times when it died (before I thought to switch to reserve) and thinking, what the !?

Hey I'm new. :P

Comment

Hehe. Welcome to motorcycling. My GSs have fuel gages, and I don't pay a lot of attention to them. Well, I do some on the 850L, because it has no reserve and certain modes of riding can have a significant impact on mileage. I've always paid more attention to the trip meter though, once I've figured out the bike's range from tank size and mileage, or riding until I need reserve. Basically, the trip meter becomes the de facto fuel gage.

I've also acquired the habit of computing mileage in my head whenever I fill up (before I park it for more than a couple days, to protect the tank from rusting). Keeping an eye on mileage will signal that something is wrong, and will give you an idea of what estimated range adjustments to make based on how you've been riding.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I also practice flipping from ON to RES while riding. I was on I-65 headed south to work one morning when the GS ran out of fuel. I reached down to flip the lever and was unable to do so (very, very stiff). No fun trying to get into the right lane and then the shoulder when 16 wheelers are whizzing past at +70 mph.
          That petcock was replaced, btw. Once bitten, twice shy.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            I reached down to flip the lever and was unable to do so (very, very stiff).
            I can't respond without it going very bad very quick. LOL

Comment

Learning how to operate your Reserve while doing Triple-Digit speeds around 18-wheelers, is NO way to go through life son!

Especially when there's no room to pull over!

Comment

I wish I had 4.2 gallons at my disposal...My Marauder has a 3g main and just shy of a half gallon reserve. I feel like I'm stopping for gas constantly.

I have no gas gauge, I have to go by the odometer and/or the "slush test," and I don't have a problem with it at all.

Comment

Working...
                X