Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another hanging idle (gs450l)

So, starting with what I've done.
    1. Cleaned gas tank, red kote, rebuilt petcock (actually worked :P).
    2. Cleaned the carbs, throughly, twice, dipped for 12 hr, then 24. Blew air through all the passages and circuits, replaced o-rings with kit from guy on here.
    3. Replaced Air Filter(K&N in airbox, with light oil), Air Box Boots, Intake Boots, intake boot o-rings, and boot clamps, all new.
    4. Replaced clutch cable, and adjusted according to manual.
    5. Replaced throttle cable and adjusted according to manual.
    6. Relay mod for coils, this actually made the biggest difference in my bike actually running almost all the time :P.

I have NOT done a valve adjustment, but I am planning on doing that fairly soon (i.e. next week or two when I have some time).

The only 2 weird things are, my main jets are 120's instead of 115 stock (the stock ones were "glued" because po broke them) and the choke plungers are plungers from a set of gs450ga carbs.

The reason I mention the plungers is that there is a slight gap between the plunger and the hole in the top part of the carb where the diaphrams are, I'm assuming that when the choke circuit is opened, this allows air to get pulled in through the hole at the near the airbox top part of the carb throat, and into the enrichment circuit.

look at the end of the choke plunger pictures here, and I think you can see the "shrink" of the GA compared to the LF plunger.

GA Plunger:

LF Plunger:

So, my question is, I cannot get the bike to idle at 1100 without running the choke, or turning the idle knob up quite high. Now this would be fine, but if the idle knob is turned up enough to keep the bike from dying without choke, I get a hanging idle once I pass 4.5k rpm.

Does anyone thing that the slight gap in the GA plungers could somehow be allowing enough air to get into the enrichment circuit that I'm running lean, hence the need for choking / opening the throat so much?

As I've said, I changed out everything that I would think would be causing an air leak, so if anyone could point me in a direction that makes sense, I would be a very happy camper.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM.

Clogged pilot jets.

Hanging idle is when you blip the throttle and the revs take a while to return to normal. By your description, you need to either keep the "choke" (enrichener) on or turn the idle screw up to keep the throttle plates open. (CV carbs, right?).

Comment

Where are the pilot screws set? Try 3 turns and see if that helps, if they are less than this that is. Also, vacuum sync the carbs after you adjust the valves. A getto sync job can be performed by setting the idle up to 2500 rpm or so, and then pull one spark plug cap off and seeing where the idle settles. Repeat for second cylinder. Adjust the sync so the idle speed drop is the same for both cylinders.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Your enrichener plungers look fine.

Verify that the slides mover freely and drop down all by themselves. Use a drop of Marvel Mystery Oil or othe light machine oil on the slides if they hang when you push them up. (Do NOT use WD40 !)

Read this site, especially the section 4 on the low speed circuit.
        http://www.factorypro.com/tech/carbt...m_engines.html

Comment

@AJ, I cleaned all the pilot circuits, made sure carb cleaner came out the right places. Also, it starts hanging once warmed up and hits above 3.5 - 4.5 k rpm, so if I set the idle to where it will run, and blip it, it will just stay at 4.5 - 5k idling, and I have to kill it with the kill switch. Yes, these are CV carbs (bs34's).

@Nessism, I have them at 3 turns, should I keep going out and out if it needs it to idle?

Comment

Ditto on Nessism's comments. But I still bet clogged pilots.

Comment

@AJ, those are not MY plungers, my LF plungers are torn to shreds cause I jacked em up when I was trying to get them out after breaking the plastic nut. If you look at the GA plungers, which are the ones I'm using in my carbs atm, there is a slight "cut" to the bottom part of them, and I was wondering if this is leaning out my pilot system perhaps?

Comment

Ok, sounds like I have a few things to try, I'll double check that the slides are returning properly, and try cranking up those mixture screws. Thanks guys.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation about the plungers. I believe it is the pin on the plunger that controls the enrichener, and the body is just a seal. It the seal is leaking, it would allow excess air in and the enrichener would not work to start the bike. I'd have to double check the diagrams to be sure of that, but think you are ok.

While I am sure you cleaned all your pilot jets, they are tiny and can clog again really easily. That's why I recommend drilling them with pin drills, but a lot of people here strongly disagree. Just soaking them and poking a wire through doesn't always open them up to proper size, plus you are likely to have crud in your gas lines. I've had to re-clean those buggers multiple times before everything was clean enough.

Comment

If you re-read my first post, I believe you are not getting fuel from your pilot jets. The idle knob holds the throttle plate open, allowing you to get fuel from the main jet.

Also, double check your throttle cable to verify that there is a little slack in it so you need a little turn on the throttle before anything happens at the carbs.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Comment

Plugged pilot jets will not cause a hanging idle. Most likely there is an air leak somewhere. I'm not sure about those choke plungers, but if they allow bleed air into the carbs it could cause the issue.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Plugged pilot jets will not cause a hanging idle. Most likely there is an air leak somewhere. I'm not sure about those choke plungers, but if they allow bleed air into the carbs it could cause the issue.
                        That's a good thought too, although I'm not sure this really is "hanging idle" (in the classic sense).

To test Nessism's idea, you could spray some carb cleaner onto the seal where those plungers exit the seals while the bike is running.

Comment

Tell us more about the hanging idle above 4,500 RPM. If you blip from your 1,100 idle to >4,500 RPM, does it come back down normally? If the hanging idle triggers only at bigger throttle movements, then maybe you are picking up a lean patch in the mid-range (needle setting).

If you have to turn the idle screw in a lot to get a normal 1100 RPM idle, then your slides may just be at the low end of their individual adjustment range. Or you have a deficiency in air or fuel (probably) fuel at the pilot circuit, such that you have to open the slides beyond that circuit to get a running mixture. The problem with the second theory (to me) is that if you are opening the slides to >1/4 throttle (if that's even possible) your RPMs should be much higher than 1100.

You can check the slide adjustment range with a bench synch.

Comment

@MisterCinders, These are BS34 CV carbs, so the idle screw isn't moving the actual slides (I think this is how the VM carbs work?).

I was looking at how the enrichment circuit works, and theres no way that the GA plunger would effect the circuit compared to the LF plunger, since the opening to the air mixture pipe is closed by the larger part of the plunger anyway.

Ok, so if I have the choke fully open, the bike idles just fine "cold" (~1100), and starts great.

If I warm the bike up (drive it up and down the street for 5 mins or so), it idles at a much higher rpm with the choke open (like we would expect) so ~1500.

If I then turn off the choke, the bike might idle at ~800 or just die. So, what I did was warm it up, go through highest idle method with air mixture screws, and adjusting the idle screw so that it idles at 1000. It seems to have helped, and is working mostly.

This works fine, but when the bike is warmed up, "sometimes" it will hang at 3500 - 4500 rpm after a good twist on the throttle. By hanging, I mean, stay at 3500 - 4500 rpm without me touching the throttle at all. This goes away if I put any load on the engine to drop the rpms below this point.

Could this be caused because of an intake valve hanging open or something?

Comment

Watching this thread, even if there are plenty like it, have the same problem with the 650 parallel twin, choke circuit operates normally, after warm up, idle ok until run a little, then idle hangs at 3k until a load is put on it. Tomorrow will be double checking sync and increasing mixture 1/2 turn, currently at 2-1/2. Also, PO removed a portion of the baffles, might be my problem. Back to your regular Bat channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X