Buying exhaust systems from Ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying exhaust systems from Ebay

Ed's thread about getting the 1100 exhaust systems from Ebay prompted me to look again on an issue I was told about a few weeks ago. It seems my left pipe is about ready to give up the ghost as it's rattling pretty good. According to what I was told, the baffle is about shot in it.

Buying new is out of the question this year as my only choice there is a MAC 4-1 system for about $350. However, I found this link on Ebay:

that is coming off the same year as my bike. According to the parts fiche, I found out the L and T models for my bike share the same part numbers (didn't realize it the last time I looked as I was only looking at the T part number and Babbitts didn't show the L).

If I try to buy an exhaust system from Ebay, how do I know if it's any good? Are there questions about the insides I should ask the seller and hope and pray he tells the truth? Although the parts fiche doesn't say if any other bike shares my exhaust, what makes each set of pipes different from others?

Or should I just wait and buy a new MAC and rejet?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Scott,
    If your head pipes are still solid you can weld on some Harley mufflers for cheap. I'd go this way unless you are particular about the look. Tkent did this with his 650 and it looks pretty good to me.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Anything specific about the mufflers I should look for (what model Harley crosses over)? Will I still have to rejet by doing it that way?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Thanks we'll see how it goes.

I'll shoot Tom a PM
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-06-2012, 09:59 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Thanks we'll see how it goes.

I'll shoot Tom a PM

try dennis kirk they have tons of exhaust ,even aftermarket cone silencers, ,mac is expensive and not rear great,and they dont sound good either

Comment

MAC is junk and not worth the money. Lousy plating, poor baffle design, noisy like a chain saw. And they want 300 bucks for a set.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So what other options do I have? After speaking to Tom a few days ago, and he reminded me in a PM, the Harley set up is giving him no power whatsoever on his 650. And sadly, the aftermarket exhaust world FORGOT about my bike.

This brings me back to my original question. How do I know if a set of pipes I see on Ebay is worth the purchase? Are there questions I should ask the seller before plopping down $100 or so on a set of used pipes?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by platinum2 View Post
                try dennis kirk they have tons of exhaust ,even aftermarket cone silencers, ,mac is expensive and not rear great,and they dont sound good either
                Even Dennis Kirk only shows the MAC exhaust system for my bike.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  This brings me back to my original question. How do I know if a set of pipes I see on Ebay is worth the purchase?
                  I'm afraid it's the same with ANY used item on eBay, you have to hope and pray.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've always assumed that if the muffler looks clean and solid at the tip, it's probably solid inside. No guarantee, of course. I see the set you linked is sold. I hope you got 'em, because they look pretty decent to me.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      I've always assumed that if the muffler looks clean and solid at the tip, it's probably solid inside. No guarantee, of course. I see the set you linked is sold. I hope you got 'em, because they look pretty decent to me.
                      No, don't have the money right now but trying to learn hence the questions. Save me some time when the money pops in.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Scott, keep an eye out on C list locally, and this forum, someone will be parting out a 550 soon enough. Or buy a dead 550 yourself, keep the pipes and make some cash off of it. Your baffle isn't going to fail suddenly and leave you stranded. I got a dead 550 with beautiful pipes and decent engine and bodywork for $75. It wasn't really dead, just some bonehead took it apart. See if 650G pipes will fit, they are more plentiful. Be patient
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Take a hole saw that just fits inside the back of the Harley muffler & cut the weld out. Then take a broom stick and knock the baflle out the back of it. They arent that loud and it will help some. Thats what I did on my fatboy before I put a Supertrapp on it. Macs are a waste of money

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
                            Take a hole saw that just fits inside the back of the Harley muffler & cut the weld out. Then take a broom stick and knock the baflle out the back of it. They arent that loud and it will help some. Thats what I did on my fatboy before I put a Supertrapp on it. Macs are a waste of money
                            How loud was it and how much better did it run?
                            My 650G is slow with those mufflers....
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Scott, keep an eye out on C list locally, and this forum, someone will be parting out a 550 soon enough. Or buy a dead 550 yourself, keep the pipes and make some cash off of it. Your baffle isn't going to fail suddenly and leave you stranded. I got a dead 550 with beautiful pipes and decent engine and bodywork for $75. It wasn't really dead, just some bonehead took it apart. See if 650G pipes will fit, they are more plentiful. Be patient
                              I'll do this since I don't have the ready cash right now anyway and based on a phone call today I doubt I will for any kind of time soon.

Thanks all.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X