Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Diaphragm Sealing Help

Hey fellas-

Any tips to get the diaphragms to seal around the lip? I tried soaking them in warm water hoping they would be more pliable, and nothing. I'd like to stay away from glue if possible, as I'd hate to rip them if I had to break them back down, down the road. Any suggestions?

Mine fit really well even after almost 30 years.
    Are they really that hard to keep in place? I cannot envision your situation but maybe some petroleum jelly or grease would hold them in place until you can get the caps on the carb body?

Comment

Hold the slide with your thumb so it's about half way up while you put the top on. This keeps the diaphragm in a relaxed position. Sticky silicone grease can help too.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There is a link on Basscliff's page to a photo tutorial that shows the foolproof way to do it.

You want to fold the diaphragm down so it looks like a tent as you insert the slide, then hold the slide up with your finger in the airway so that it stays in position as you put the cap on. Also make sure that the little tab on the diaphragm is sitting in the cut-out area for it on the carb body.

Comment

i used black high temp sealer, very lightly just in the lip area,and on the cap, very lightly, it works great

Comment

Working...
          X