Problem reinstalling stock exhaust system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem reinstalling stock exhaust system

I'm having a heck of a time putting the stock exhaust system back on my bike. Can't seem to get the pre-muffler pushed to the rear of the bike enough to line up the holes for the 3 bolts. I've tried it a bunch of different ways and am not getting anywhere. Getting discouraged and tired . . . Anyone have any tips to save my sanity?

Replace the crossover with two pieces of 1 1/2" pipe that are 7 inches long.

Works very well.

Here is why I had to do this:

A closer shot:

1 1/2" pipe from Auto Zone, cut to 7", then slotted on the larger end.

Installed on the stock 2&3 downpipes, readty to go into 1&4:

Basically gives it the same system that was on the '79s.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve, nice little repair/mod you have there, and with pictures, just the way I like my books. Funny the things you see and go "now why didn't I think of that?"
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks Steve! Is there any downside you can think of to not having the system cross over?

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
          Is there any downside you can think of to not having the system cross over?
          No downside that I can think of. The only difference noted was a very slight change to the exhaust sound.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
            Thanks Steve! Is there any downside you can think of to not having the system cross over?
            The crossover pipe is also called a balance pipe. Here is Flowmaster's take on using one: Flowmaster Balance Pipe
            I neither endorse nor oppose the use of one.

Comment

K_K, that type of "H" pipe is used between two complete halves of an exhaust system, not just between two individual cylinders.

If I remember correctly, my KZ650 had a "balance pipe" that was after both 2-into-1 collectors, and before the two mufflers.

Still have not figured out the reasoning betwen having the pipe just between two cylinders.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

The crossover was there to improve scavenging from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                  The crossover was there to improve scavenging from what I understand.
                  I agree. It also changes the tone emitted from the exhaust, whether one likes it one way or another. As Steve previously stated, it did change the sound a bit.
                  Steve, while agree you are technically correct, I suggest the basic tenets (or Dogma, hehe) remain quite similar.

Comment

With that setup, you also lose the three bolts that attach to the oil pan. Instead of bolts at the engine, oil pan, and rear frame, bolts for the whole muffler system only attach at the extreme front and extreme rear. Be sure to tighten up those middle joints good! I know you can do it, but newbies should be careful. Those oil pan bolts are always hard to locate and tighten down anyway.

Comment

I didn't consider losing those oil pan mounting points. All things considered, I'd just as soon keep the premuffler if I could find some way to move it rearward a bit more to have the holes line up. I've tried whacking it w/ a BFH, jacking it up a bit, etc., but it is just giving me grief. Any ideas on how to get it into position????

Comment

I got it!! I hooked up a couple of big clamps from the front of the premuffler to the rear of the centerstand and it pulled it back enough for the holes to line up. What a pain . . .

Comment

Working...
                        X