Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbs leaking bad!

What's up Gang?

I have a 83 gs1100e. I just finished putting it back together. I posted a thread about four months ago about storing my carbs. I drained the gas and took off the float bowls and cleaned them out and I stored them in a dry place. Now I go to put the carbs on and get gas going to them and they leak like crazy! I wanted to know what O rings do I have to change in order to stop the gas from leaking? This is my first time messing with bike carbs.

Thanks,
    Supavert

113 posts and you don't know what to do ?!?!?!?!

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Please post a reply that can help or just don't post one at all. I think this forum was made to be informative for gs owners correct?

Thanks,
      Supavert

Comment

Please search the forums and/or post questions that can be answered.

There is no "stop overflow o-ring" to change. You need to figure out why your carbs cannot manage the fuel supply. Typical causes are bad petcocks and stuck float needles. Check those parts to drill into why your carbs are flooding. Plenty of threads here on those issues, including a recent and long one of my own.

Also check your oil for gas. Don't start the engine if there is any gas in the oil. Change your oil and filter before running the engine again.

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post
          Please post a reply that can help or just don't post one at all. I think this forum was made to be informative for gs owners correct?

Thanks,
          Supavert
          Uhmm....okay. I'll be as informative as I can.

Question : Which o-rings do you need to change to keep your carbs from leaking ?

Answer : All of them.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Tap on the float bowls and see if they stop leaking.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Supavert View Post

Thanks,
              Supavert
              He actually was trying to be helpful to you. Use the rebuild guide that he posted the link to, and that should help solve the problem. Also, make sure your petcock is in the Run or Reserve position and not PRIme. In prime the fuel is on all the time. Also, if the vacuum operated petcock is working improperly, the fuel will leak into the carbs and the float valves won't be able to stop the flow sufficiently and make the carbs leak. Again, many places/things to check and work out on your carbs, and if they haven't been rebuilt in the last 20 years they need to be done.

Another good site to reference: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ , I'm sure you've seen it before as well.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              113 posts and you don't know what to do ?!?!?!?!

http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

Comment

Float height... float needles... bowl gaskets... drain o rings.. and every single internal o ring.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

Peace!
                  Supavert

Comment

Working...
                  X