Forgot petcock on prime and empty the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot petcock on prime and empty the tank

Hello i have a 1980 gs1000 i was riding one day and gas was low so i switched over to res but i really put it on prime got home and parked and did not ride for a week or so when i went out i noticed yellow all over the engine and seen that it was on prime not res and had drained all the gas out of the tank in the the carbs and out the breather box. I was wondering could any of this gas of went in to the oil. or what do i need to do if it did.

Check your oil level through the sight glass. If it's increased above the usual setting (e.g., over the F line), there is gas in there. Also, remover the oil cap and smell for gas.

If there is any gas in the oil (or you just aren't sure), change the oil and filter before starting the engine again. Gas in the oil is VERY BAD, so get rid of that oil and the filter.

Comment

Yes, the gas could have more than likely found its way into your crankcase. Check the oil level in the site glass is it over full? Does the oil smell like gas? I would just change it anyway.

-Dave
      82 GS1100E
      five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
      Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Do you see four gallons or so on the floor?
        If not it's in the crankcase.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Do you see four gallons or so on the floor?
          If not it's in the crankcase.
          Except that he parked the bike with an almost empty fuel tank, switching to PRI instead of RES.

No matter what though, I'd change the oil/filter.

Comment

Been there, done that. I would think it's time for an oil change.
            sigpic
            Steve
            "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

I second and third that, change your oil. Here's a link you might find informative: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Comment

thanks

thanks for the information, the oil lvl looks fine but im gonna do a oil change anyways.

Comment

I just did the carbs on my GPZ750 and did the same thing, forgot to put it in "on" from "prime". My wife was real pleased that the whole house smelled like gas. Its a wonder it didnt blow up when she opened the garage door. I also had just filled the tank too, Needless to say the oil was real thin when I dumped it. Had to take the plugs out & ground them on the wires and pump the cylinders out too. Lost about 2 gallons of gas in all
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2012, 06:42 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. vallo2019,

Change the oil and filter. Is your air filter washable? If so, wash it let it dry, and spritz a very light mist of oil on it. Or just replace it if necessary. Make sure the cylinders are not full of gas. This can hydro-lock the engine and bend a rod. Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" for all the necessary steps to get your bike into safe, reliable condition and keep it there.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vallo2019 View Post
                      Hello i have a 1980 gs1000 i was riding one day and gas was low so i switched over to res but i really put it on prime got home and parked and did not ride for a week or so when i went out i noticed yellow all over the engine and seen that it was on prime not res and had drained all the gas out of the tank in the the carbs and out the breather box. I was wondering could any of this gas of went in to the oil. or what do i need to do if it did.
                      Don't wonder - change the oil and filter. Cheap insurance

Comment

Working...
                      X