another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another carb question

I recently started work on a gs1000g that someone else gave up on. everythings going fine. it starts and idles fine, but low on power. checked plugs and they are black. puled carbs off and checked jets; main 170, pilot 47.5, pilot air 170. stock they should be 115,40,and 200 stock i think? it has k&n pods and a 4into1 v&h pipe. does this jet collection sound right? thanks in advance, Tim

Have you checked/adjusted the valves yet? Often times (though I HATE jetting for pods and a pipe because the combo has nearly a hundred possibilities) if the intake valves are tight, it will throw any and all numbers off, by a mile.

Have you checked the valve lash?

Welcome to the fourm. You HAVE found the right place for your bike, I however...may be the wrong guy to answer your question.

What HAVE you done so far?

Comment

just wondering if any of the jets are close to being right since the carbs are off now it eould be easier to change them. instead of puting them on and have them be way off. any ideas?

Comment

thanks for very little...i guess im not in the click---peace

Comment

There are a lot of combination of jets, its trial and error. Low on power where? Low, mid , top, it makes a difference. We need details.

Comment

Originally posted by believing View Post
            thanks for very little...i guess i'm not in the click---peace
            48 hours after your first post and you already have an attitude because everyone didn't come to your rescue...

You gave little to go on, what year is the bike, any history of what else may have been done, one member started to offer assistance by letting you know you may have to do some work on the valves first as he explained they may affect what jets you need, but no acknowledgement from you, just passed it over wanting the magic fix all pill, you said the last owner gave up, you haven't even yet begun, you have to start from scratch to get your bike running as it should from the factory before trying to find one little thing to fix it. No-one...No-one will know what jets you need, it's not a magic number for all bikes, there may be a starting point, but not a one size fixes all. Pods and aftermarket pipes have been made to work on these bikes, but need more patience then you seem to have for it.
            In your own words...peace, and hope your next forum sells the magic pill.
            Otherwise, take a deep breath, and start over, people will help, patience, and you may have to do other maintenance the Previous Owner didn't do right in the first place.

Comment

I don't what jets you may need for the mods you've made, but, here's a listing of the stock jets.

Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X