Might Make the Plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might Make the Plunge

Due to various issues I'm facing now that I moved to Ohio, I am debating if I will switch to pods on my 550T. For one, the replacement air intake manifold I bought won't fit correctly on the number 1 carb if mounted properly. I am trying to look for a complete air box but my limited funds and limited success on EBay are proving difficult. Secondly, I'll be looking for a different exhaust system next year as the left pipe's baffle is about shot.

So, I'm doing some research and know based on previous threads here as well as a discussion with RapidRay and K&N that these pods will fit on my bike:

Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

Although there is some dispute as to their availability (K&N says they have them on hand and ready to ship while one individual said otherwise), I know they are in use. I also know I'll have to get the Dynojet kit for the 82 550M as they don't make one for the T specifically but both bikes do use the same carbs.

I am prepared to do plug chops and everything else to get them running right and already have offers out here to help with that. However, I'm curious if anyone has used those pods and can give me their impressions. Do you like/hate/tolerate them?

There is no desire to increase performance here only to keep this bike running well with what I can find. In fact, I intend to keep this bike long after I buy my next one sometime down the road so either of my girls can have it when they are ready to start riding.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Cowboy, I have all of that air box assembly from a 1980 550E.
    According to the parts fiche the '80 550E and the '81 550T used the same part number.

Eric

Comment

Pods are a lot of work and expensive. I'ed go for the stock air box in a heartbeat.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Yeah I'd take him up on that stock airbox if it's the correct part. If you decide to go with pods, I wonder if APE sells the size you need? They're reputed to be every bit as good as K&Ns at a lower price (some say basically they are K&Ns without the logo).

Comment

Thanks Mike I'll take a look. He's grabbing pictures of it now so we'll see how it looks.

EDIT: Just looked at their site and it seems the 700 is the smallest they fit filters for.
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 05-15-2012, 11:03 PM.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

For a few different reasons I chose not to take Eric up on his offer so I'm still interested in opinions from other 550 riders who went to pods. Thanks

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              EDIT: Just looked at their site and it seems the 700 is the smallest they fit filters for.
              I would give them a call, and maybe try some forum searches. Apparently they're very helpful over the phone. If they sell pods for a 700, well that uses the same BS32SS carb bodies that your GS550 does: they were used up to the 850 if the specs in the carb sticky post is right. I'd expect the airbox bore size on the bodies to be identical. If you measure they ought to be able to tell you if they have anything to fit. The only issue I could see is if the spacing on the carbs, which did change between models, did not allow the pods to be next to each other. But I think I've read where some folks have used APE pods on their CV-equipped 550s.

I know you're working on a budget and, if you're going to go pods, would rather see you save money with APEs than lose serious quality going with Emgos...

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                would rather see you save money with APEs than lose serious quality going with Emgos...
                No chance in heck of me doing that. I am planning on putting the right money into things but if i have to wait then I will.

I will call them too...thanks for the advice.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Well, found a complete 82 550L airbox setup that should fit my bike without too big of an issue on Ebay for $66 (includes shipping). The best part - quick clarification of what pictures I wanted so I knew it had everything and NO ATTITUDE. Should be here next weekend.

If this new airbox doesn't work then I'll suck it up and go with pods later.

Thank you to all of those who helped answer my question.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                  X