Choke kill the bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
    Also the fuel from the early eighties isn't anything like the watered down ethanol induced crap at the pump today.
    True, but has nothing to do with the need for premium gasoline in a low compression engine.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the info plumber, I splurge on premium because my (motorcycle) mechanic and the PO (a kind of marine mechanic) told me it was best otherwise the ol girl will probably start knocking on heavens door. It's what they both choose to put in, I can't argue with that. Also the fuel from the early eighties isn't anything like the watered down ethanol induced crap at the pump today.
      If you wish to conyinue to waste you money just because someone else does, more power to ya.

But as far as watered down ethanol induced crap goes, when people say watered down they are reffering to the removal of tetraethyllead (unleaded gas). tetraethyllead or TEL was original used in gas for 2 reasons; 1: it was a way of regulating the octane rating. We now use a different method and the formula is clearly printed on the pump when you get you gas. 2: TEL was helpful in preventing valve wear on older engines with softer valves. All cars now (including your bike) have hardened valves that stand up to the wear on their own.

As for ethanol, it is more likely to absorb moisture and cause rust. Many older engines do have trouble with it, but even that is debatable. If you do wish to avoid ethanol in your gas, there are ethanol free gas stations, and Www.pure-gas.org is the go to website to find an ethonal free gas station. You will pay a little more for that too, but that will actually help your engine.

Hope this helps to save your money,
      Thomas.

(edit) I forgot to mention that TEL was an "anti knocking agent." your gs is impervious to knock, because the crank and rods sit on roller bearings. You can beat the snot outta those bearings, and If you listen closely, you can hear them laugh at you.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post

(edit) I forgot to mention that TEL was an "anti knocking agent." your gs is impervious to knock, because the crank and rods sit on roller bearings. You can beat the snot outta those bearings, and If you listen closely, you can hear them laugh at you.
        That's not laughing, that's pistons crying.
        Knocking is still a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
          '82 GS750E so that's a negative on the roller bearings, she's got plain bearings.

As far as octane, we'll see how it goes. I got her on mid-grade now and things are doing ok. I MAY ween in some regular 87 but really 20¢ more per gallon for premium in a 5 gallon tank only amounts to an extra dollar per tank. We'll see how things go, I'll give her whatever she likes best - just have to find out exactly what that is...

Comment

'82 GS750E so that's a negative on the roller bearings, she's got plain bearings.

As far as octane, we'll see how it goes. I got her on mid-grade now and things are doing ok. I MAY ween in some regular 87 but really 20¢ more per gallon for premium in a 5 gallon tank only amounts to an extra dollar per tank. We'll see how things go, I'll give her whatever she likes best - just have to find out exactly what that is...
            Only a buck, but paying the evil oil companies extra to screw up my engine and give me worse gas mileage so I can pay the evil oil companies even more just seems so wrong to me.

Comment

Yes, if you actually hear knocking that's bad, but it won't be caused by unleaded gas.

Comment

yes I should use 87 octane but my cousin who is a motorcycle mechanic and the previous owner who is a marine engineer both recommended that I use premium because the bike is old and air-cooled.
                I understand wanting to believe your cousin over strangers here in the forums, but in my brief time here has shown these guys not only love their GSs but they know what they are talking about too.

If there is no benefit to the higher octane why bother? I also avoid the ethanol fuel too. I suppose in the summer if you are riding a lot maybe it wouldn't be a problem but if your fuel system isn't 100% and/or you are storing it for the winter I wouldn't use it.

Also if you are seeing better fuel mileage with the higher octane (unlikely) it would be so small of an improvement that it wouldn't justify the extra cost.

Not to say there is no benefit to higher-octane fuel. I use it in my VW GLI. It was designed for it (the manual says so). And my VW isn't 30+ years old.

Comment

I've had all of my friends tell me "throw some premium in there, she'll run like a scalded dog!" Mind you those same friends roll their eyes when I tell them that I adjusted the valves and did a complete tear down on the carbs and rebuilt brakes and what not. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" they say. Makes no sense. Leave crusty, rusted and ready to fail parts on, but put gas that isn't meant for these motors in it for a performance increase. I guess it's a good example of just how much people misunderstand what premium gas really is. They talk like it's nitrous or something.

I tried premium once. ONCE. I noticed nothing different except a slightly lighter wallet. I probably might have noticed more if I knew how to identify pinging.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    I've had all of my friends tell me "throw some premium in there, she'll run like a scalded dog!" Mind you those same friends roll their eyes when I tell them that I adjusted the valves and did a complete tear down on the carbs and rebuilt brakes and what not. "If it aint broke, don't fix it" they say. Makes no sense. Leave crusty, rusted and ready to fail parts on, but put gas that isn't meant for these motors in it for a performance increase. I guess it's a good example of just how much people misunderstand what premium gas really is. They talk like it's nitrous or something.

I tried premium once. ONCE. I noticed nothing different except a slightly lighter wallet. I probably might have noticed more if I knew how to identify pinging.
                    Pinging sounds like shaking a can of marbles. If you engine isn't doing it, premium is worse than regular. For a GS engine to ping with it's now compression, something is wrong that needs fixing, not just more expensive fuel.

Comment

Working...
                    X