Lumpy idol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumpy idol

Not sure where to put this thread..I have a 84 gs750 with a fresh motor.It had a big bore kit in it when i bought the bike.I have a rebuilt head including new valves guides and all that.I have mikuni rs34 on the bike as well.I have the bike running now.The problem is at idle the bike sounds and runs like it has a big cam in it.I have jetted the carbs. I did a carb sync as well.They are all the same.The plugs look great and it has a ton of power.It seems to be running fine once i am off idol.I have looked for crap in the carbs and didn't see any?.I have changed the pilots one up and it made no difference.Maybe i am looking in the wrong area for the problem.Could this be electrical?.
    I am getting very frustrated taking the carbs on and off lol.The tach seems to jump around a lot at idol.It is a aftermarket set of gauges on the bike.They are vapor gauges.I can't remember if they did that last time i had the bike running.I checked the wires for the gauge and they are all fine.

Any help at this point would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2012, 11:11 PM.

Hi,

Have you performed a vacuum sync on the carbs?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

Have you performed a vacuum sync on the carbs?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      /\ /\ /\ /\
      If a carb sync doesn't fix it let it idle for about five minutes, pull the spark plugs and have a look. If it's rich they will be dark and white if lean.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes i did do a carb sync..Sorry forgot to put that in..I have let the bike idol for a few minutes and they are fine.

Comment

Does a lumpy idle mean something's wrong if it runs great otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by rotty View Post
            Could this be electrical?.
            cleaning up grounds never hurt anyone.

perhaps there is a small clog in the ide circut or maybe the tip is broken off one of you pilot fuel screws?
            or do rs 34's have the pointy pilot fuels?

Comment

I am not sure about the broken tip thing..I guess i could have a look there.It seems to run a little hot at idle as well.I don't want crappy mpg's.It wants to stall unless i set the idle to 1400 or higher.

Comment

Have you checked for vacuum leaks and made sure the carb boots/o-ring/what-have-you aren't leaking air in? 1400 rpm is a tad high on the idle, I suspect.

Comment

Yes i took some propane and a rubber hose to the carbs and boots and all that.i took the float bowls apart and went inside the carbs a little more..Found a little sediment in the bottom..I cleaned that.I am going to put the carbs back on and hope that was it ;0)

Comment

Sediment in the bowls, how's your fuel tank as far as being clean of rust and sediment. If it has crap in it it'll work it's way into the carbs and possibly start clogging stuff up.

Have the carbs been disassembled and cleaned? Clogged jets and passages give less than ideal carb performance and with sediment found in the bowl there could be some clogging jets and/or passages.

Comment

Working...
                    X