melted airbox boot??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

melted airbox boot??

So I am changing my intake O-rings, and as I take off my airbox, I notice that one of the airbox boots is melted! What can cause this? Can I "fix it" with duct tape or electrical tape? Do I need a whole new airbox or can I get one boot. The melted part is actually inside the box. How can this happen? Its fine where it attaches to the carb. The second one beside this one is slightly melted. I did seal up my airbox. Will this affect the way it runs?
    Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

its toast mate, no tape in the world will fix that. you need new ones
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Do I have to get a new box or do they sell just the boots? Will it affect the way it runs?

Comment

Capn, which bike do you have again? I may very well have some used ones around here and I know your address.

Eric

Comment

Hi,

Yes, a fire can break out in your airbox and do considerable damage. I think Mr. 7981GS has some pictures of when it happened to him. Compared to him, you got off easy.

You can buy airbox boots from any online OEM vendor, just the ones you need if you don't want to replace all four. But they're not that expensive, not like the carb intake boots.

The boots shape the air column as it gets drawn into the carbs to ensure proper mixture and dispersion. It would probably run with damaged boots but could be a little weird with hesitations, flat spots, rough idle, whatever. Be sure that your carbs, valves, ignition timing, etc, are sorted so that it doesn't backfire out of the carbs, possibly starting another fire.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

BTW...whats that big springy thing under the carbs????

Comment

Hi,

I would suggest getting familiar with your manual. But in the meantime, here's a picture. I think you are talking about the cam chain tensioner.

BassCliff

Comment

Ha!!! Thats great Cliff!! You guys are awesome. Its the cam chain tensioner I was looking at. I gave it a good soaking with wd-40, cleaned it, and zapped it with fluid film (Great stuff...check it out!!)
                It does tend to get a bit grimy in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by capnjim View Post
                  Ha!!! Thats great Cliff!! You guys are awesome. Its the cam chain tensioner I was looking at. I gave it a good soaking with wd-40, cleaned it, and zapped it with fluid film (Great stuff...check it out!!)
                  It does tend to get a bit grimy in that area.
                  Did you remove it for this? Make sure you reinstall it properly, pulling and locking the plunger, releasing the plunger once installed, etc.

Comment

No, I just gave it a good soaking and wiped it down with paper towels. I used fluid film after which is an amazing rust protector/lubricant.
                    I cleaned my entire bike with it! No soap and water. Lots of rags!

Comment

Hi,

Fascinating stuff. I've never heard of it.

I'll have to get me a little can and test it out.

BassCliff

Comment

From their website:

"Fluid Film protects all metals, and will not harm electrical connections, paints or plastics. Caution should be used around rubber goods: May cause swelling. It provides powerful protection for equipment in shipment, in storage and in use."
                        '83 GS650G
                        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I used a tiny bit on my intake boots, cleans them up really well, makes rubber more supple. I wipe it off pretty fast for any rubber or plastic and it seems pretty harmless. Its really nice for metal and chains. Plus, it smells good too!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                            Hi,
                            Yes, a fire can break out in your airbox and do considerable damage. I think Mr. 7981GS has some pictures of when it happened to him. Compared to him, you got off easy.
                            Cliff is quite correct.
                            I was just cruising down the highway at a steady 75 when the bike just shut down.
                            After crossing 4 lanes of fast traffic, with GOD on my side, I made it to the slow lane shoulder.
                            G (shaft) models, slow down FAST!!! when they are not running. Even in neutral.
                            The carbs had never even hiccuped in over 6,000 trouble free miles when it happened!
                            Even when it shut down! I was at a steady speed when it died.

It had melted ALL of them practically closed!

Got it home, inspected everything inside the carbs, cleaned out some carbon on a couple of the slides, re-jetted and installed pods!

Never actually found out what caused it.
                            No one on GSR came up with a likely reason either.
                            One member from the U.K. said that he had heard of other GS1000G's that had done the same thing with worse consequences.

Eric

Comment

The cam chain tensioner leaks are common. Here's the fix.

I was wondering what causes the boots to melt too......seems odd, there should not be that much heat there.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X