Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs550, air pods, partial chop exhaust, wont start / keep running

hi,

I have a 80 gs550, I have chopped foot + 1/2 off pipes, and there are individual pod air filters, the carbs have been rebuilt completely, and the main jet is upsized two sizes. I will start for a few seconds on choke, mildly idle up, and then die. I pulled the plugs, they are dry. So... I have no idea what the fuel idle jet is supposed to be at, but it's bottomed out on all four right now. Any suggestions?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. harshjay,

I'm not sure what "rebuilt completely" means but you will find the proper procedures for carb cleaning and rebuilding on my website.

After modifying the intake and exhaust, every bike is a little different as to the jetting solution. You will probably need to go up at least 4 to six sizes on the main jet. The idle mixture screws should start at 2.5 to 3 turns out from lightly seated. Having them turned all the way in will cut off the idle mixture. The midrange (needle circuit) will be a bear to tune without a jet kit, but you can try going up one size on the pilot jet and shim the needles to raise them a bit. You will need to perform plug chops and read the plugs to determine if each carb circuit is tuned properly. One my website you will find a "plug chop/highest idle method" guide. Look in the carb sections of my website for more information. Good luck.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

No baffles and pods? Hoo-boy.

Probably need to do a DynoJet kit for that bike. You'll need to rejet the pilot, needle and mains. The pilot you can set by turning, and you already changed mains (though they might need to go up more). The needle on your bike doesn't adjust IIRC, so you'll want the jet kit to get needles with better taper.

On the CV carbs, I don't know the baseline for the idle screw, but I am certain it's not bottomed out. I think your circuits all run through the main, so you have dial that jet size in first and work down, which is the reverse of my carb process.

Check the CV carb rebuild guide in BassCliff's site. It has pictures and other tips.

Comment

Soooooo, where the heck can I find a jet kit, there are none on dyno-jet's page, and all I can fin is eBay links

Comment

okay, when going through the carb spec page, it lists the canadian version of my bike as having adjustable needles.. anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Guess what, it moves!

But, I have ignition issues now, and as I was touching a plug cap, and other hand was on metal of handlebars, I got blasted. Coil packs a wallop. Now the search is to find the electrical leak. I believe it's on the furthest cylinder right (throttle side), but it will cut in and out while riding. Wish I had some sort of muffler left though, it hurts to ride. Suggestions for small muffler?

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X