GS450E overheating. Help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450E overheating. Help please?

I bought an '83 GS450 for my wife last year. It had been pretty neglected and I figured for $100 it would be a good starter bike for her. Well, finally got it started today, but it over-heats pretty severely. I'm not quite sure what causes it, but the only thing that isn't stock is the exhaust. After less than a minute of being started, it begins to smoke from the front of the bike around the area that the exhaust bolts in. What might be causing this? Running too lean/rich for the new exhaust? Thanks for any input!

Here is the exhaust I purchased:

Did you install new exhaust gaskets along with the exhaust?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Did you rejet?

If not it will definitely run lean and get hot.

That smoke might just be some residue on the head or exhaust since its been sitting for a while and collecting dust.

Something like this would help.

Although i cant be sure its a genuine dynojet kit, there are fakes on E-bay.
      Last edited by Mekanix; 05-18-2012, 01:09 AM.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Same old, same old. Is it leaking at the tach drive? These bikes like to do that.

Order number 21 & 22 here: http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1983&fveh=2094

Eric

Comment

No way the engine can be overheated in less than a minute from cold. Is there oil leaking on an exhaust pipe or something?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            Did you install new exhaust gaskets along with the exhaust?
            It didn't come with any and I didn't remove any when I took the old exhaust off. Figured it didn't need any.

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            Did you rejet?

If not it will definitely run lean and get hot.

That smoke might just be some residue on the head or exhaust since its been sitting for a while and collecting dust.
            Possible it's residue on the head. Definitely not the exhaust as I just installed it. I'll clean it off and see if that helps.

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
            Same old, same old. Is it leaking at the tach drive? These bikes like to do that.

Eric
            I don't think it is, but I'll get this anyway. Thanks!

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            No way the engine can be overheated in less than a minute from cold. Is there oil leaking on an exhaust pipe or something?
            I suppose I don't know for sure that it is OVERheating. It's just getting hot enough that it smokes and smells awful.

I think Mekanix might be right about the residue on the head for the smoke. I'll get it cleaned up and see what happens. I'll also get that tach piece and jets. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero5360 View Post
              It didn't come with any and I didn't remove any when I took the old exhaust off. Figured it didn't need any.
              There are gaskets for that.

Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

I doubt it's overheating from 1-2 minutes at idle. If it's sounding good, then give her a ride around the block to let her burn off any residual oil from leaking tach drive or cam cover gasket.

As for the Mac 2-1 exhaust, bump your main jet 1 or 2 sizes and go from there, unless you also added pod filters. (Jet sizes go up and down by "2.5" so the next size up for a 42.5 is a 45.)

Did you drill out the caps over your idle mixture screws? You'll likely need to loosen those out another 1/2 to 1 turn. Recommend you do that, then go for the ride, then adjust those screws to fastest idle after the engine is warmed up.

You can test your exhaust gaskets at the head with a butane lighter. I like to use the lighters with the long extension like you use for lighting barbecue grills. With the engine running at idle, slowly trace the flame around each exhaust pipe where it meets the engine. If it's leaking, you will see the flame pulse with each exhaust stroke. No pulsing, no leak.

Sounds like you are doing good work so far. Keep it up!

Comment

Working...
                X