No announcement yet.

wont rev above 4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to try de-oiling the KnN filter... then just 'lightly' oiling it. It may be too restrictive.

Comment

is the valve cover vent clear? how about the intake manifolds, " carb boots on motor side" could they be leaking and sucking to much air at higher revs?

Comment

I had a very similar issue and went through checking everything on the bike. The problem ended up being crap in the tank. That crap went in to my carbs and I had a 4500 Rpm limit.

I cleaned everything again, tank, filter and most importantly the carbs. Once it was all cleaned I was burying the needle on the speedo and didn't have a rpm limiter.

You said you had sediment in the tank so you need to clean again. My filter looked clean too, but, there was still junk in the carbs.

Comment

Jesus tap-dancing christ!

Well... Apparently... IT WAS THE AIR-FILTER!!!!

I just washed the KnN... let it dry, went over it with a heat gun (lightly, just to quicken the process) re-installed dry...

THE THING IS A FRIGGEN BEAST!!!!!

1100rpm to 9000rpm without a hickup! Smooth as silk.

Live and learn, and let this be a lesson... do not over-oil your air filter.

Wish I knew that a week ago. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I knew I wasn't crazy!

Comment

I never would have suspected this issue, but it was the problem with my bike too. Wouldn't rev past 5500 under load. Removed the K&N and she runs to redline no issues!

Thanks to this forum - this is awesome!!

Comment

Good on ya Danny.
              ...and Steve too!
              Well done.

So, what jetting and needle settings did you end up with?

Xxx

Comment

Working...
              X