33mm carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

33mm carbs

just bought these carbs off ebay. gonna get the full treatment when i get them, u/s cleaning, new o rings etc etc what ever they need.
    painting, polishing drooled over by me and the wife and the cat.

question is what intake boots do i need to get to fit these carbs to my 1000E?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Let us know what they measure - I saw them and thought they were badly measured 28s. If they are 28s they'll still be a lot better than your 26s and they'll fit your existing rubbers.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hate to say it but, those certainly DO NOT look like smooth bore Mikuni's.
      I would be talking to Paypal about a refund on bogus parts myself. "Not at all as described in the ad."

Eric

Comment

will do when i eventually get them. even if they are 28's then it should make a difference and i can claim some money back off paypal for false advertising haha
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          I would be talking to Paypal about a refund on bogus parts myself. "Not at all as described in the ad."

Eric
          They did do 32s that didn't look like the 33 smoothbores; does that make sense? Non-US markets only (I think, but stand to be corrected) and they are rare - rarer than 33s by a country mile. But those measures don't stack up - they should be 32.9 internal (head side) if my memory serves me correctly.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Eric
            i will have to wait till i get them before making sure but believe me if they are not i will be banging in a claim
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

they are not 33mm smoothies

the 33s had a distinctive flat top

they are not 29mm either
              29mm smoothies had the idle adjustment on top not below as in what you bought
              bowls are not smoothbore "big bung" they have the overflow pipe not fitted on smoothies
              these also appear to be for a cable choke setup smoothies have the lever setup

most likely 28mm std carbs possibly bored out if his measurements are right

Oz

Comment

no worries as i have emailed him to ask if he is sure what he is selling before he makes the effort because if they arent what he says they are i will be straight back to him for a refund
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Or they could be VM30s from an ST (very, very rare in the UK) that have been put together on VM28 rack (choke is different).

Scroll down for a photo of some VM30s on an ST:

gs1000st, gs1000, gs1000s, suzuki gs1000, suzuki gs1000s, suzuki gs1000st, gs1000s 1980, gs1000 st, 1980 gs1000s, 1980 gs1000

Guess we'll have to wait and see.
                  Last edited by hampshirehog; 05-19-2012, 07:50 PM.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

just spoke to the guy again and he says he has remeasured them. he says the inlet is 31mm I/d and 33mm O/D which dosent sound right to me, that makes the carb inlet body thickness of 1mm. i have asked him for a full refund before he bothers to post them and then it ends up in a refund battle
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Probably the right thing. He had a GSX1100 swinger for sale for a silly price and swore blind it was standard fitting on a GS1000. I offered him a third of what he was asking but he turned it down (I think he thought I was trying to fool him by saying it wasn't standard of a 1k). Doesn't give you a lot of confidence - worth a gamble if it's cheap but otherwise best stay clear.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

ok, just spoke to the guy on the phone now cuz he got a hissy fit on ebay with me asking for a refund.
                        he swears they are genuine and he has 3 sets that all measure the same all off running bikes. i have taken a chance and agreed with the purchase but i have told him there WILL be a dispute if he rips me off but he seems quite happy that wont happen.
                        so.....my question is what vm's measure 31mm I/D and what bike are they off. he does not list them as smoothbores so i am guessing they are just a larger VM off a different bike?????????
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

He hasn't got 3 sets that measure the same - no chance. Unless he can't read a caliper.

As far as I know the only carbs these could be on this measure are VM30s but if they are then they are on the wrong rack. VM30s are very, very rare over here - just a very few STs came wearing them.

As the other guys say, they look nothing like smoothbores.

Ask him to take a photo of the calipers while measuring.

Alternatively, maybe somebody has bored them out (that would account for the thin walls).
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Alternatively, maybe somebody has bored them out (that would account for the thin walls).
                            Sounds like the most probably answer.

Comment

Hard to tell from the photos but my guess is 28mm VM's from a Kawasaki. Some of those have accelerator pumps, which is a nifty feature to have. I seriously doubt they are bored out.

Last edited by Nessism; 05-20-2012, 04:05 PM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X