No announcement yet.

33mm carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're not on a Kawasaki rack - the choke set up is different. Plus they aren't pumpers.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Just send him a pic of the real things and get your money back...

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        They're not on a Kawasaki rack - the choke set up is different. Plus they aren't pumpers.
        Cable choke was offered on the 1979 GS1000. Maybe they are just normal VM26's?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Cable choke was offered on the 1979 GS1000. Maybe they are just normal VM26's?
          but he swears the id is 31mm?????? and the od is 33mm. i will have to take my carbs off tomorrow to take a few comparison measurements unless any one has got the spec on the id and od measurements of a vm26 handy
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Using your seller's logic, THESE 33 mm smoothbores, certainly MUST BE 40 mm smoothbores.
            Right?

(Sorry for the shaky hand trying to hold the caliper and carbs while taking a pic in the second one.)

Send him pic's and demand your money back!
            Misrepresented product!

Eric

Comment

Let me know if you ever get them to idle consistently if you ever get the right carbs. I traded mine for a set of 29s. They do run good WFO. No way the carbs pictured are 33 smoothbores, Ive had then before
              Last edited by Guest; 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Again, by his logic, these 26 mm carbs must be 34's.
                Or, 26.5's?

Comment

i can do nothing now until i receive them and take some measurements. i will post up the results then after a bit more feedback from you guys i will decide whether to go ahead and fit them or demand a refund
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                    but he swears the id is 31mm?????? and the od is 33mm. i will have to take my carbs off tomorrow to take a few comparison measurements unless any one has got the spec on the id and od measurements of a vm26 handy

just a point here, he says id 31mm od 33mm if thats correct that means the spigot is 1mm wall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it would be about as strong as tissue paper
                    the spigot should be about 3.5mm thick

Comment

Guy sounds like he's Mr Bullsh*t - he's advertisng 'two complete engine bottom ends both match the two frames'.

79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

i think he means each engine no, matches each frame which sounds ok to me
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

While checking out his other items for sale on Ebay, check the fantastic welding repair on this cylinder head in the third pic and compare it to his wonderful description.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            i think he means each engine no, matches each frame which sounds ok to me
                            If he does then it'll be a first - the engine numbers and frames numbers don't match on any of our bikes.

He's dropped that price on his 1100 swinging arm now I see. Getting there.
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

just been on the phone to a guy who used to race GS1000's and he says boring out the carbs was common practice in his day.
                              i cannot draw any conclusions until i get them, tomorrow hopefully.
                              i will measure them and inspect them meticulously and then decide if i have bought a bank of scrap ali. after all he did say on the phone he measured them with a tape measure!!!???? i got a digital vernier.
                              maybe ill get a few quid back just for the engraved slide tops haha
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

right, so the carbs turned up today. measured with a digital vernier, the inlets average at 28.2 I/D. 33.8 O/D and the inlet walls at 2.9mm.
                                so at a "wild" guess i would say these are standard 28mm VM's......
                                they have a cable operated choke (which dosent work) and the throttle is jammed half open. pretty good seeing as they came off a "running" bike.
                                i am not overly bothered because they will be stripped completely and rebuilt.
                                question is, do i give the guy a gobfull and demand a partial refund for selling me something "not as described" or do i just give in and be thankfull that the carbs are actually original and just need work, which i intended to do any way?
                                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                                X