No announcement yet.

33mm carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just took the tops and bottoms off. no gaskets on the top covers, the bottom float bowl gaskets were in a bad way, all the jets blocked up AND i have seen it all now........
    he or someone had sprayed the INSIDES of the float bowls black?????????? WTF?
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

IMHO, stock carbs in need of a complete rebuild are only worth $50 plus shipping.
      I would not pay more for them.

Eric

Comment

i have asked him for a partial refund, no reply yet
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

got a £30 refund off him after i threatened to send him them back at his cost, gonna be a nice little project now but at least i will have a decent set of 28's at the end of it
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

They're even skinny for 28s - every set I have measured have been just a shade under 29 (28.9, 28.8 area). So that's a bit odd but it is what we thought they were.

Nice shade of black inside the float bowls. But why? Anything behind the paint?

Price is still bloody high for 28s. This set sold yesterday for £45:

79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

they are defo 28's. no sign of any machining in there and they are all pretty consistent.stripped one float bowl and the paint mainly fell off. no primer etc.just got to unclog all the holes.
              why the hell would you spray the inside of your float bowls?
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                why the hell would you spray the inside of your float bowls?
                Because you can...

Buy a tin of matt black and the world is your oyster in the world of motorbike custom paint jobs... You've seen all those real beauties that come up for sale all the time

Make sure that that diddy hole at the bottom of the float bowl for the choke pick up is clean - that'll clog easy with that sh!t (sorry, custom paint) in there. Did the choke ever work again after they were painted? Well, they did come off a running bike.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

no idea lol. the whole lot is being stripped as i type. can i replace the cable choke with a lever type choke from the 26's?
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

I think the choke rod etc swaps straight in. Never done it but they look the same from memory.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

parts wanted here i come lol. they are fitted with 115 main jets is that eight for 28's?
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

28s came with either 95 or 102.5 main jets. I have 102.5s in my T plate S and 95s in my V plate S (standard airbox and 4-1 on each). Both run spot on.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

The choke rod can be swapped. I've done it before and verified.

Black crap in the float bowls is worrisome. I'd try paint stripper and see if you can get it out.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

its defo paint and has obviously been run at some point with petrol in it i presume as i only have to tickle it with my finger nail and it falls off. i will scrub them, get some paint stripper in there then ultrasonic clean them. they should be good as new afterwards
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Glad to hear they are stock 28s, at least they will flow a little more air. The seller obviously has problems reading calipers? (I noticed there was no picture of the inlet bore, so maybe it was intentional). There was a company named Maxi-bore that did the 30mm conversion, and the front bore indeed got very thin. I've even seen one of those sets that must not have been bored straight: there was a hole in the carb body next to the slide! My friend had a set that he loved, but he had to turn the bottom fuel screw nearly all the way in for it to run right.

For the side lever choke, you will probably need to drill and tap a hole.
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2012, 03:33 AM.

Comment

the guy did say he measured them with a tape measure!!!!!
                                the paint is all coming off real easy, just have to make sure all the holes are clear.
                                i still cant get my head round why anyone would spray the inside of the float bowls?
                                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                                X