Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting trouble

Hello

I've got a 1982 gs 1100 GL which I just put back together after a long battle with the secondary drive. My problem is that it will not start and I think the problem is the cylinders aren't getting any fuel. I just rebuilt and cleaned the carbs and everything checked out there as far as I could tell. Fuel is getting into the carbs and the bike is turning over but there is no ignition of the gas. After turning it over for a while I took out the spark plugs and all of them appear to be sparking, dry and not smelling like gas. I set the mixture screws 1.5 turns up from tight and tried it again with another 2 turns.. no luck. There is also vacuum on the petcock and it is drawing fuel into the carbs albeit slowly. I'm stumped and not sure what to do next. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, thenkle

Hi,

My first thought is that there has been an incomplete cleaning and rebuilding of the carbs. The proper procedure is to purchase an O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com and follow the proper procedures, completely disassembling and dipping the carb bodies and metal bits (jets, etc) in carb cleaner dip for up to 24 hours. The aftermarket "carb kits" are incomplete and usually contain inferior parts. Re-use the stock parts unless they have been damaged or worn. If so, replace with OEM parts from one of the vendors in the "mega-welcome".

Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial
    (Mr. Nessism)

CV Carburetor Rebuild Guide

(Courtesy of GSR and John Bloemer)
    (Click here to see the CV Carb Notes)

In case I missed your entry to the forum, proceed through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Skipping steps or taking any shortcuts will lead to catastrophic failure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Dry plugs after cranking . Are you sure you cleaned (poke and blow) out that little hole in bottom of fuel bowl that feeds the "choke" system? Did you bench sync carbs- throttle plates will appear almost fully closed on idle stop screw, this ensures that fuel is drawn up choke feed tubes. Apply choke fully, but don't use any throttle when you crank.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I did rebuild the carbs with the tutorial and was following all your advice. The problem turned out to be that I wasn't getting enough power for it to spark I guess. Put in a fresh battery and she started right up. Why is the solution the one that you always dismiss early on?

thanks

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. Sometimes it's a process of elimination.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X