Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not running so well

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and thought my question could be answered here. I just bought a 81 gs 250t form an original owner. It is my first street bike and thought it would be a good start. It has only 400 miles on it. It was the guy's wife's bike when he bought it brand new,and she never rode it. It didn't run and had been sitting for 30 years. When I got it, I took it to a local shop and the guy found there was a mice nest in the air box and the carbs were also gunked up. He rebuilt the carb's (as in completely disassembled and all new jet's, float's, etc.). It now starts and runs.

My problem is that it idles and rides in 1st and 2nd fine, above that and there is a loss of power and full throttle just bog's it down. The fastest it will hit is about 40mph. I only see one adjuster on the carb's, Is there another adjuster somewhere that I am just too blind to see? Or is it something else creating the problem?

Any help would be great!

Sounds like he may have rebuilt the carbs improperly, oh, and by the way, welcome neighbor, I'm just down the road from you. Not familiar with that bike, but did he sync the carbs after they were re-installed, still sounds like he didn't do a correct disassembly when he supposedly cleaned them, and if it was never ridden, it's likely it didn't need jets either. Post a pic of your bike, and ad your bike in your signature

Comment

Well after researching for a few minute's online, I think my problem is my filter. I put pod's on it instead of an oem filter, thinking it would not make much difference. From what I've read you need (bigger?) jets for those than the stock one's? I'm no mechanic, but it's only 10 buck's and worth a shot for an oem one. I'll do that this week and come back
      Last edited by Guest; 05-20-2012, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr. sasquatch01,

Any change or modification to the intake or exhaust will require jetting changes to compensate for changes in air intake, flow, etc, to maintain the proper air/fuel mixture. Go through the maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome". Do not skip any steps or take any shortcuts. Do all of the tasks properly and completely. You'll find guides with the proper procedures on my little website. Shop mechanics rarely have the talent, skill, experience, or patience to do a good job with these classic machines. You must do it yourself to be sure it's done right.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I got the factory air filter in it, and runs great now! Glad that it was just a minor problem. thanks for the reply's though!

Comment

Working...
          X