When adjusting the pilot screws...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When adjusting the pilot screws...

...for best idle, are you supposed to set each pilot screw to the same setting? Do you turn each screw a 1/8th for example and listen for the difference? Or do you set each screw separately?

When I am adjusting the screws, if I try to set them separately I notice the most difference to idle with the first screw I turn. By the time I get to the 4th screw I can barely hear a difference. I do get confused easily though - I am finding this carb tuning to be quite tricky.

Set each carb individually. They should be a similar number of turns out though, or else something else is wrong.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sometimes it is easier if you drop the idle to 900 rpm while adjusting, do one carb, then drop idle down again before doing next. Should make it easier to hear changes. terrylee

Comment

Yep, use the highest idle method, set the first carb to get the highest idle it will give you, then drop the idle back down with the idle adjustment screw, set the second carb to the highest idle it will give you, and so on.
        When you have set all four, set idle with the idle adjustment screw.

Comment

Working...
        X