Important Safety Reminder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Important Safety Reminder!

After reading this thread - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=193485

- it occurred to me that I haven't seen this in writing on the forum yet, but anytime you do any work to your carbs, fuel system, or fuel tank, have a fire extinguisher within arms reach for the initial re-start. A very small fire will quickly (like within 20 seconds) turn into a very large fire you're not ready for it.

If you don't have a fire extinguisher, a garden hose with a spray nozzle will do. Get one of those on/off type nozzles, and have the water on and the hose uncoiled and nearby because, again, it doesn't take very long for a fire to develop into something you can't put out yourself.

I hear it all the time because a couple of my riding buddies make their living as fire fighters, but I wanted to pass it on to everyone here as well.

Sound advise. Especially with pods or petcock work.

Comment

Especially when you try to start the bike up without any air box or pods

A small backfire can be disasterous
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I'm going to add something I overlooked in the first post, roll the bike out into the driveway for any sort of re-start after fuel system work. An out of control fire in your driveway is bad, one in your garage is much, much worse.

Comment

Might want to add when doing a plug chop, dont pull into your garage during your "cut power and coast to a stop" procediure. 9 times out of 10, the bike will backfire on restart and ignite any gas that found its way into your exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyMotor View Post
            Might want to add when doing a plug chop, dont pull into your garage during your "cut power and coast to a stop" procediure. 9 times out of 10, the bike will backfire on restart and ignite any gas that found its way into your exhaust.
            After doing any carb work, I always do to things before starting the engine.

1. Confirm that my extinguisher is handy.

2. Make sure there is nothing in the exhaust's line of fire (e.g., rags, gas can, etc.) that might embrace a hot sexy backfire.

Comment

Water is not the best idea for gas or chemical fires. Use an extinguisher or other means to smother the fire.
              It's probably fine for most cases, but if you have puddles of gas burning, spraying it with water can spread it to other areas.
              Oh, and never use water for electrical fires.

Comment

When we first moved into our home in Nevada, one of the first things that I did was buy fire extinguishers.
                3 in the garage, one between the roll-up doors, one next to the parts washer, one next to the door from the house into the garage and one under the kitchen sink.
                Now, with the Suzuki shed, I have one 1A10BC extinguisher at the front door there also.

Don't take chances when fire is involved please.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                X