82 650 cylinder not firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 650 cylinder not firing

I have a 82 gs 650 that has a cylinder not firing. I just took the carbs off and cleaned them thoroughly along with changing the air filter and spark plugs but after riding it I could tell it wasnt all there. The third exhaust tube from the left, looking at if from the front, is not heating up at all while it runs. I switched plugs and same problem persisted on the same cylinder. I have spark at the plug so I dont know what is wrong. I also have gas in the bowl at the carb. Any ideas?

any compression on that cylinder? quick check take the plugs out of 3 an d 4 and stick your finger over the spark plug hole, tightly.
    4 should blow your finger off ( not literally) but have enough pressure to blow it off the hole. see how it compares to the non firing cylinder
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

"The third exhaust tube from the left, looking at if from the front"

That's what we call #2 (we measure from left to right as you sit on bike)- it has the petcock vacuum tube attached to it. Petcock often fails, leaks fuel down to #2, fouls plug, so that cylinder doesn't fire- have you looked to see if plug looks wet with gas?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        "The third exhaust tube from the left, looking at if from the front"

That's what we call #2 (we measure from left to right as you sit on bike)- it has the petcock vacuum tube attached to it. Petcock often fails, leaks fuel down to #2, fouls plug, so that cylinder doesn't fire- have you looked to see if plug looks wet with gas?
        ok so i missed that bit. 3rd exhaust from the left i presumed it was no.3.
        still my helpful hint will give him some idea
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          ok so i missed that bit. 3rd exhaust from the left i presumed it was no.3.
          still my helpful hint will give him some idea
          No problem, I will forgive you, because you guys make great ales!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            No problem, I will forgive you, because you guys make great ales!
            i make unbeleivable home made wine haha
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              i make unbeleivable home made wine haha
              I wouldn't believe what I did last night.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X