dynojet question, still running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dynojet question, still running lean

after installing pods and 12" shorty mufflers on my 81' 650 Katana, it began to run very lean..

so i ordered a Dynojet stage 3 and followed the exact instructions.. It got better, but is still running lean.. The stumbling is starting around 3000-4000, and gets much worse downhill.. Sometimes when driving uphill it runs okey.. i use 160 main jets, and the needle clip is adjusted as shown in the instructions..

The pods i bought were some cheap stuff, has that something to do with this?? Shall i adjust float height?? Shall i try to adjust the needle height?? or maybe buy k&n pods instead??

((and i know that many of you are going to comment on me removing the stock air filter, but try to imagine a bobber with the big ugly air-filter box))

what the "L"?

Tell me you didn't really bob a baby Kat. I hope it was at least a basket case when you got it. It's your bike, but I really liked it stock.

No need to start a new thread. You're going to lose people by jumping around.

Yes, your pods could be an issue. I can't recall, did you ever fully strip and dip the carbs and get the valves adjusted? You're not going to get very far with this if you haven't.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I'm sure the cheapy filters have a lot to do with it. there is some good carb tuning tutorials on basscliffs site. Shows what component(s)/circuit(s) are used based on throttle position. BTW, lets see a pic, I'm partial to GS bobbers less airboxes....

-Mark
      -Mark
      Boston, MA
      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
      sigpic
      1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

Hi,

You'll have to perform some plug chops and read the spark plugs. We don't know if the midrange is stumbling because it is too rich or too lean. You can't really go by rpm, you have to go by throttle position. See the plug chop procedure on my little website. There is also a link to the Factory Pro tuning procedure on one of the carb pages.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
          I'm sure the cheapy filters have a lot to do with it. there is some good carb tuning tutorials on basscliffs site. Shows what component(s)/circuit(s) are used based on throttle position. BTW, lets see a pic, I'm partial to GS bobbers less airboxes....

-Mark
          +1 on the pics.

I'm not trying to talk you out of bobbing, I quite like the look of a well thought out and executed project, be it cafe or bobber.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            what the "L"?

Tell me you didn't really bob a baby Kat. I hope it was at least a basket case when you got it. It's your bike, but I really liked it stock.

No need to start a new thread. You're going to lose people by jumping around.

Yes, your pods could be an issue. I can't recall, did you ever fully strip and dip the carbs and get the valves adjusted? You're not going to get very far with this if you haven't.
            around here these bikes are worthless, there are so many of them.. got it very cheap.. and i'm a old school type, that is my taste.. yes the carbs were fully stripped and cleaned, many times.. the valves were not adjusted, as it ran just perfectly before installing the pods..

i think you might be right about the pods, cheap one's take in a lot more air than for example K&N pods..

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi,

You'll have to perform some plug chops and read the spark plugs. We don't know if the midrange is stumbling because it is too rich or too lean. You can't really go by rpm, you have to go by throttle position. See the plug chop procedure on my little website. There is also a link to the Factory Pro tuning procedure on one of the carb pages.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              thanks BassCliff.. i'm not an expert, but i can tell that the bike is definitely running too lean.. i know the difference by experience.. the engine getting overheated, no smoke, no black plugs and so on..

Comment

and here's a photo of my old school baby

Comment

Not my personal style but that's a pretty good looking bobber.
                  Looks like some of those darned neighborhood kids tagged
                  up your license plate.

Comment

Originally posted by jordraatt View Post
                    and here's a photo of my old school baby
                    Um, I'd keep your shirt tucked in when you ride that. Looks like one bump away from the meat grinder.

Comment

Originally posted by NeyborDayfid View Post
                      Not my personal style but that's a pretty good looking bobber.
                      Looks like some of those darned neighborhood kids tagged
                      up your license plate.
                      thank you very much, i have spend a lot of time in the garage with this haha, those damn neighbours again!!

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                        Um, I'd keep your shirt tucked in when you ride that. Looks like one bump away from the meat grinder.
                        you're right, i never wear wide shirts on this baby.. it is pretty cool to almost sit on the seat though, special feeling

Comment

Nice bobber, nailed the stance. I know what you mean about that feeling in the seat.. Lol
                          Last edited by mvalenti; 05-22-2012, 08:53 PM.
                          -Mark
                          Boston, MA
                          Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                          sigpic

Comment

thanks Mark, i can see you're running the same style.. i love how it's stretched, guess you're running chain??

Comment

Thank you. And no it's the stock length swingarm and shaftie.

-Mark
                              Boston, MA
                              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X