No announcement yet.

dynojet question, still running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a picture that cleared it up for me. It shows that it's actually allowing more fuel in through a passage up the side of the carb. I had mistakenly thought that it allowed more air in as it's on the top of the carb but it does indeed open up the bypass port and allow more metered *MIXTURE* to be pulled into the venturi.
    I'm glad to have this straight.
    My humble thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-29-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

My understanding was that it was more fuel added as well, therefore changing the air/fuel ratio. I'm just checking to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding, too.

EDIT- that diagram you have linked shows that the screw adds more mixed fuel...
      Last edited by BigD_83; 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

thanks for great infor guys.. thanks to you the GS lives on..

one question, andit might be a stupid one.. but what about wrapping the pods with something to block the airflow?? i know that it can't simulate the same airflow asthe stock box,but maybe it will get a little better??

Comment

i just don't get it! i've bought two different stage 3 kits now, and none of them worked out.. why do they even bother selling these kits, when you have to change out half the kit yourself to get it right??

Comment

Originally posted by jordraatt View Post
            thanks for great infor guys.. thanks to you the GS lives on..

one question, andit might be a stupid one.. but what about wrapping the pods with something to block the airflow?? i know that it can't simulate the same airflow asthe stock box,but maybe it will get a little better??
            I've seen this done, but may look crappy if not done well, and defeats the purpose of having the pods in the first place. Probably useful as a diagnostic tool, though. I think the worst part of doing it would be that you are changing the airflow characteristics of the pod design, and it could make getting the carbs balanced that much trickier.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              I've seen this done, but may look crappy if not done well, and defeats the purpose of having the pods in the first place. Probably useful as a diagnostic tool, though. I think the worst part of doing it would be that you are changing the airflow characteristics of the pod design, and it could make getting the carbs balanced that much trickier.
              I tried this once, then took it down the road found out I was running rich and came back with foam wrapped pods soaked with fuel. I only have pods to make access easier, because performance wise they almost take away more than they add.

Comment

Originally posted by jordraatt View Post
                i just don't get it! i've bought two different stage 3 kits now, and none of them worked out.. why do they even bother selling these kits, when you have to change out half the kit yourself to get it right??
                Don't try to re-invent the pod with a shop rag. Nail down your baselines.

ADJUST YOUR VALVES.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO AIR LEAKS.

You also need to synch the carbs.

You cannot re-jet your way out of problems caused by air-leaks, tight valves or badly synched carbs. Once those things are tightened up, you have a foundation for re-jetting adventures.

Then do some plug chops and focus on getting each circuit correct. With CV carbs, I think you have to work down the circuits, starting with the main jet.

Comment

i fixed my problem today...everyone was telling me to move the needle clip position down towards the point so i moved it to both positions below the stock setting and it just made it worse. so instead this time i tried moving the clip one position away from the stock placement and it really cleared the problem up for me. try that if you haven't already. it really did clear it up a lot.

Comment

sorry i'm gonna clarify a bit...i moved it away from the needle one position.

Comment

So you were running rich?

Comment

now the new K&N pods arrived, and it is still running lean.. next thing to do is trying to adjust the needle height as if that works.. if not, i'll guess i have to order bigger main jets/and, or pilot jets.. this is some f****** ****!

why not sell a stage 3 kit with the pods included, so that we know it'll work out in the first place?!?! this is f****** gambling!

but thanks guys for giving me the links to sites selling jets, guess i'll order a bunch of different jets and see what will work out. anyone here who has got a setup to reccomend on this bike, with pods and 12" mufflers?? i don't even know what the original jet sizes are
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Jordratt,

I still do not see a response to MisterCinders about adjusting your valves. Have you?

With a 160 main in there I would not expect you to be running lean at WOT. Can you clarify at what throttle positions your problems of leanness are, and how you arrived at your diagnosis? Plug chops done under load? Revving in neutral?
                          '83 GS650G

Comment

okey, i have fixed the problem and it's running like a dream

first of all, i changed the pods to K&N and it got a lot better, but not allright.. so guys, stay away from cheap pods!!

it was still stumbling, but this time it sounded like it was running rich.. i did a plug diagnosis, and i was right.. so i checked the electric system, for spark problems.. i did a fully charge on the battery, and now it is sparking like a dream..

btw, those who say that pods make your bike loose hp, that's just bull****.. with the K&N pods and the 12" mufflers it's more aggressive than ever i hope that this thread has helped some people out
                            thanks guys!

Comment

Nice to hear you made sucess!
                              I still believe the K&N have less restriction and better cleaning than the EMGO. So in other words the K&N let moore air into the system not less as you wrote.
                              I have for the moment no dynajet stage 3, cheap pods, rised needles, larger main 128, stock exhoust, 1135, cv36mm. Runs very nice.. I bought K&N's, tested them, but had to put the EMGO back again..
                              Here is my tread on this if you are interested.

Regards
                              Espen

Comment

Working...
                              X