Exhaust Smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Smell

When I come to a stop I usually smell a hint of gasoline in the exhaust, almost like the engine is running slightly rich. Can somebody tell me if this is normal for these 30+ year old bikes to smell like this or do I have more work on my hands? Ive pulled the plugs and #1 has slight carbon fouling, 2 and 3 are perfect, 4 has some oil. Compression 130 psi accross all cylinders.

"Normal", no. What have you done to the bike as far as maintenance is concerned?

Comment

from what i understand, 130 psi is a little on the low side, but may be acceptable if everything else is up to snuff. it sounds like a thorough cleaning and balance are in order.

Comment

The gas smell will go away when the carbs are cleand and adjusted properly, valves adjusted, timing set and ignition functioning properly.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you are smelling gas at a stoplight, your pilot settings may be a touch rich. When you pulled the plugs, did you do a proper chop (putting around at low throttle for 20 minutes or so, then kill engine and coast in neutral to a stop before pulling plugs)?

Was the compression test on a cold or warm engine? Not sure on the specs for your 550, but 130 psi across on a cold test might be fine.

The oil on the No. 4 plug is worrisome. If that cylinder is oil fouling the plug, you might have a problem with the valves/rings.

Comment

Working...
          X