No announcement yet.

Are k&n's better than my airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its up to you if you wanna keep them or not. If you are going for the look, thats ok and your choice. Millions of dollars are spent on add-ons a year. My only issue with pods is they don't last very long, 2 years and my V&H pods are showing thin spots. The jetting isn't that hard to figure out, and without an air box it takes about 3 minutes to pull the carbs to rejet. I like my pods, I wouldn't go back to an air box.

Now with the stock air box, don't think thats will make it perfect, with todays fuels the stock jetting with an air box would more then likely need adjustment. Its all up to you, myself, I love the pods, for looks and ease of working on the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by CCC-TT View Post
      I just cut off the airbox at everything rear of the tank so it is easily removable along with the carbs. Just covered up the large hole that was made and left a very small opening, about the size of the air opening in the stock airbox and she runs just like before. Used a screen filter as opposed to foam. Even checked the plugs after a good ride and they look the same.
      It took some playing to get the size of the air opening correct but now that it is I'm happy with the results. Especially being able to easily remove the carbs from now on.
      What bike do you do this to?

The airbox on DannyMotor's and my bikes only has one chamber, so your word picture makes no sense to us. My guess is you have one of the hamster maze boxes I have seen on other GS models.

Comment

Its a gs550l. The airbox goes all the way under the seat where there is a filter box. Behind the filter is a seperate chamber leading to the entrance of the carb boots. This is the chamber I left on but cut off the part of this chamber that extends under the seat to meet the "filter box" part. Now it just slides out from either side of the bike without having to remove the seat and take off at least 8 screws and wrestle the thing out.

Comment

Real filters have rubber bell mouths in them as well. If you buy knock offs, not so much. Cleaning and properly oiling K&N filters is also paramount to both their longevity, and proper filtering and air flow. The drawback is that the bike will run leaner and leaner as the oil dries up. Things change, temp swings, humidity, etc play a factor. If you don't mind tinkering now and then, or don't mind not getting 100% out of the bike if you don't tinker, they can be made to work. But for an otherwise stock motor, and daily drive ability with little tinkering, stick with the airbox.

The HP gains from pods, pipe and a jet kit, while noticeable if tuned correctly, is minimal. The headaches for the non-tuner can be a turn off. If you plan to modify the engine, then it's a definite need. But, if not, it's a looks thing.

Comment

Working...
          X