Gas leaking from tank overflow tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leaking from tank overflow tube

My 81 1100E started leaking gas on the floor of my garage and I traced it back to the fuel gauge overflow tube coming out of the tank. I'm wondering where to start looking the gauge it's self, the petcock or carbs? The gauge works but I just ran some seafoam through it possibly dislodged something. Just wondering where to start any help would be appreciated.

Is it coming from the tube attached to the fuel level sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by jay66 View Post
      My 81 1100E started leaking gas on the floor of my garage and I traced it back to the fuel gauge overflow tube coming out of the tank. I'm wondering where to start looking the gauge it's self, the petcock or carbs? The gauge works but I just ran some seafoam through it possibly dislodged something. Just wondering where to start any help would be appreciated.

Drain the fuel tank (set petcock to prime after running hose between petcock and gas can).

Remove the fuel tank.

Remove the sending unit assembly and inspect all the parts.

I recommend a new sending unit seal at minimum but you need to inspect the parts before rushing to the solution.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

the gasket has gone on the fuel level sender. you may get away with tightening it up but i would strip it out and fit a new gasket
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          Is it coming from the tube attached to the fuel level sensor?
          Yes looks like it.

Comment

Thanks, should be an easy fix. I have a parts bike if anything else is bad.
            Anyone know if it's a rubber gasket or if I can get away with making one out of some of that hardware store gasket material?
            Last edited by Guest; 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jay66,

I don't think I have properly welcomed you yet. But first, have a look at the "Tank Cleaning with EvapoRust" guide or the "Fuel Gauge Send Unit Repair" guide on my website. They'll have pictures of the area you're dealing with if you'd like to have a look at the send unit in the tank.

Now let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I covered the gasket area on my sending unit where the wire goes through with JB weld on both sides. Haven't had a drop leak in almost 4 years. It's an every day rider, so I keep the tank full just about all the time. A new replaceable main gasket wouldn't be a bad idea either, It can leak at both places and drain out the catch tube.
                Last edited by OldVet66; 05-23-2012, 06:21 PM.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                X