Measuring Exhaust Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Measuring Exhaust Noise

Anybody know how the police actually measure the noise from your bikes exhaust? I see several limits (all measured @ 50 ft), below 35 mph, above 35 mph and stationary, do they usually just do stationary? If so, do they just check at idle or make you rev the bike?

Thanks,
    Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Last I heard, they were still trying to find a method that would work.

Trying to measure sound to meet a standard requires a standardized environment.
    Exhaust noise level of a bike in an alley will be louder than the same bike in a farm field, for example.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i'm pretty sure it's more subjective. when i got pulled over by a sheriff's deputy for a loud exhaust in my car years ago, he passed me going the other direction and whipped around and pulled me over. so, unless he had a decibel meter running in his car all the time, there's no way he knew exactly how loud my car was. i've had a couple of loud bikes in the past and never been hassled, so unless your local guys are just out to get people, i wouldn't worry about it too much, unless your bike is ridiculously loud. then maybe throw a baffle in it for daily riding.

Comment

Originally posted by airbornespud View Post
        i'm pretty sure it's more subjective. when i got pulled over by a sheriff's deputy for a loud exhaust in my car years ago, he passed me going the other direction and whipped around and pulled me over. so, unless he had a decibel meter running in his car all the time, there's no way he knew exactly how loud my car was. i've had a couple of loud bikes in the past and never been hassled, so unless your local guys are just out to get people, i wouldn't worry about it too much, unless your bike is ridiculously loud. then maybe throw a baffle in it for daily riding.

The reason I'm asking is I hear CT is setting up spot checks lately and they do use a sound level meter. I have measured my bike (yeah I have a meter) and I start getting above the limits around 4500 RPM.

-Dave
        82 GS1100E
        five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
        Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

Originally posted by 5azzmonkey View Post
          The reason I'm asking is I hear CT is setting up spot checks lately and they do use a sound level meter. I have measured my bike (yeah I have a meter) and I start getting above the limits around 4500 RPM.

-Dave
          call 'em and find out right from the source. they should be willing to help a citizen that wants to abide by the law. even if it is just barely.

Comment

Working...
          X