too much oil in filters and compression tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

too much oil in filters and compression tester

New to my gs650. Among many other things, I changed the air filters (doesn't have airbox, just four individual filters) and based on what I've read, I think I over-oiled them--bathed and squeezed. Is there a way better than keep squeezing to get some oil out? Is this important? Compressed air from the inside in a bag or something?

Also, got as compression tester from a friend when I got the bike, but he didn't have the fitting for the littlest plug--the one the bike has. None of the auto parts stores here in town had one, nor did anyone have an adapter. source?

Put filter in between newspapers and squeeze- the paper will absorb lots of excess. Since this bike is new to you, be advised that pod filters are often put on by POs without regard for their effect on carbs- so be prepared to sort this out. Also, some cheapo pod filters are apparently very challenging.What kind of exhaust does this bike have?
    Might be hard to find a 12 mm adaptor all by itself. usually they come in a kit.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Stock exhaust.

PO says PPO rebuilt the carbs, which I suppose means he could have rejetted the carbs for the pod filters. But I know that "rebuild" here could mean nothing or worse, and judging from the shape of the bike when I got it... No vac line from petcock (added a plumbing valve in line and left the petcock on pri), no vent hoses from carbs, no hose from top of valve cover ( I don't even know where that one goes), badly cracked intake boots, kinked and non-functional choke cable--I could go on. But the price was right, so I figured I'd take a shot.

Would it be smart to find a used oem airbox? I want to make the bike solid, and the minor maintenance and tune up work I've done so far has done plenty to performance. (Plugs, oil/filter, cables, cam chain tensioner, petcock etc.) I brushed gasket maker on boots just as a temp measure so I could run it (new boots on order from z1). After boots will come valve adjust. Thinking about that coil mod, as it seems easy and can't hurt.

Am I approaching this in a good way? I've learned a hell of a lot from this forum but I know that there is a hell of a lot I don't know.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by adameee View Post
        PO says PPO rebuilt the carbs, which I suppose means he could have rejetted the carbs for the pod filters.
        Too many "maybes", you are going to have to look for yourself.

No vac line from petcock (added a plumbing valve in line and left the petcock on pri),
        Would have been easier to just plug the port on the carb and move the petcock from ON to PRI.

no vent hoses from carbs,
        No problem there, many say you need to take them off when installing the pods, anyway.

no hose from top of valve cover ( I don't even know where that one goes),
        That normally goes to the top of the airbox. Since you don't have an airbox, you should find a way to catch the vapors. As a last resort, you can get a longer tube (if you order a new replacement, it's actually a six-foot long tube that needs to be cut to length) and route it down behind the engine so moving air will create a bit of suction to vent the vapors. This is the way that cars did it before environmentalists encouraged the invention and installation of the PCV.

badly cracked intake boots,
        Get those replaced before you even fire up the bike again. An intake leak that size can ruin the engine rather quickly. Plan on about $100 for the set of four.

kinked and non-functional choke cable
        Cheap to replace and oh, so nice when it works properly.

Would it be smart to find a used oem airbox?
        Ultimately, YES.

Thinking about that coil mod, as it seems easy and can't hurt.
        No, it "can't hurt", but why just treat the coils to better electricity? Clean the entire system to remove the corrosion that is causing the voltage drops.

Before you do the coil mod, do a simple voltage test. Turn the key ON, measure the voltage at the coils and compare that with battery voltage. If the difference is less than two volts, you probably won't notice a difference with the coil relay mod.

Personally, if I was going to install a relay to increase voltage to something, I would do it to the headlight, but it actually works out better to just clean the entire system.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

There was a couple volt difference between the battery and at the coils, but yeah, I'll clean up the whole system, and do headlight and/or coils if necessary.

Should have boots and cable by Thurs, won't run engine before replacing boots. Thx.

I'll run breather hose like you're saying (already did vent hoses). Is it ok to leave those pods for now and see how things work? Can they do damage?

I don't know why the guy messed with the petcock and added the valve. When I added a vac hose and tested it, it worked great.

RE: the carbs, I have some learning to do, and so I will wait until I deal with what we're already talking about, and make that the next chapter. Three weeks, maybe?!?

Thank you so much.

Comment

At least it runs! Until you get those new boots on and valves checked, don't run too much-lean condition is dangerous, and valves that aren't fully seated can lead to trouble. Check camshaft to crank timing when you do valves, just in case tensioner gave a PO grief.
            Since you've done some reading here, you know how serious carb cleaning is. At the very least,at boot time, pull carbs to see main jet size in case pods were just thrown on. But at that point, might as well clean them, get new o-rings, etc. Reread the top ten newbie mistakes .
            Air box stuff comes up on ebay regularly. What 650 do you have- put model/year in your signature - it helps us!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks so much.
              it's going to be a great bike!

Comment

it's going to be a great bike!
                Ok, but what is it, gs650GT?? a pic would be helpful-
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. adameee,

I don't think I've said "Hi" yet. You'll want to check out all of the general maintenance documentation on my little website, articles for charging system repair and maintenance, tank cleaning, valve adjustment, proper carb cleaning, etc.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Put filter in between newspapers and squeeze- the paper will absorb lots of excess. Since this bike is new to you, be advised that pod filters are often put on by POs without regard for their effect on carbs- so be prepared to sort this out. Also, some cheapo pod filters are apparently very challenging.What kind of exhaust does this bike have?
                    Might be hard to find a 12 mm adaptor all by itself. usually they come in a kit.
                    I am not sure this would work with pods. The filter and pod are pretty rigid, so there is not much to squeeze. Plus, you could distort the pod itself.

Instead, you can pick up a K&N filter cleaning kit for about $12. Spray the pods down with lots of cleanser. Wait 15 minutes. Rinse the pods off with clean water, and let them air dry for several hours or, better yet, overnight. Then use the oil spray to lightly oil them again.

The only hard part is having to wait for the pods to dry. The instructions say that using a blower or heat (like a hair dryer) to speed that up will harm the pods. v0v

Comment

Yes (I added it to my signature).
                      GS650GT.
                      Will post a pic this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X