Leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking

OK so... thanks to the cool VM carb rebuild ten pager, a newly purchased stack of o-rings from the recommended sources (sorry, I'm at work and can't remember all the contributors to properly thank; Barr? Nessim??), the new intake boots, new gaskets all round and much reading the forums, I mostly very successfully rebuilt and calibrated my carburators.
    I'm a counselor, not a mechanic, but I operated in faith and with guidence.
    I'm getting a leak from what appears to be the bowl drain on #4. New O-ring, not overtightened, etc. Sort of frustrating!
    Anything I may have missed?
    Thanks!

Rick

Check the sides of that bowl. If gas is seeping through the bowl gasket, it will condense at the drain plug. What looks like a leaky drain is often an overflowing bowl. Wipe your finger around the sides of the bowl. If it ends up wet with gas, your float level is a little too high.

Also check that no fuel is getting into your airbox/pods, and check the oil level for phantom increases. If the fuel is overflowing because of a bad petcock, it can drain into the crankcase. That is double-plus ungood.

Most likely, you need to pull the bowl and adjust the float levels a bit.

Comment

OMG! Someone else who uses "double plus ungood!"
      I appreciate the suggestions. All gaskets are brand new... but I'll check the bowl.
      I am watching the oil for phantom increases; likely kicking down for a new petcock within the month just cuz...

On the plus side; the bike is running much more smoothly and just feels better.

Comment

Working...
      X