Quik Z1 filter pod (emgo) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quik Z1 filter pod (emgo) question

I bought my 1st GS a week ago. 78 gs1000. A couple of days later I stumbled on here and have been a daily reader. This forum and all of you guys are awesome!!!!!!!! But I'll get into all that later when I do my 1st bike thread. When I bought the bike it already had &n filter pods.2 of them are split half way around and the prick hid it from me by putting those two in the middle. I'm going to replace them with the Z1 filter pods at least for the meantime because they are way cheaper. My question being are they reusable? And will I have to tenet since its already been jetted for the k&n pods. I'm sure several of you run these filters since they're so cheap.

Just noticed *tenet* should have been rejet. Stupid auto correct

Comment

K&N filters can be had cheap on Amazon...
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

sorry but 130 isnt cheap you can find them cheaper, emgo are crap , but they work if done right, there like stock paper element stuff so yea they will work but how long,and how many times replacing them

Comment

Well it'll have to be for now. I have several things I need to fix before it's road worthy. @ $8 each I'll put them on for a couple of months until I get some other bugs worked out. Thanks for the info. At least I won't be disappointed when they come in.

Comment

You can get a set of APE Filters for $59.95...they work well.

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The thing with Emgos and other oriental knock offs is that they are not restrictive enough and don't really filter.

What you can do is pick up some filter foam (it comes in sheets around 12"/18" by 3/4" for about $20). Most bike shops can get it or you might find it or something similar in the lawn tractor section of the hardware stores or any store that works on small engines.

Cut out some disks to fit inside the pods and keep them in place with some wire through the mesh. The foam needs to be oiled too. You can get special oil in a can but ordinary clean oil works. Soak the foam and squeeze out as much as you can.

Hope that helps.

spyug

Comment

If the other two pods are intact, just pick up 2 new K&N pods and clean and re-oil the others.

K&N pods cost more, but they are vastly better than the other pods, especially the cheap knock-offs.

Tuning and jetting for any pods is tough. Spend a few bucks to mitigate that with decent pods. Once you have a good set of K&N pods, they last forever, provided you don't break them.

How did your PO manage to split the pods, anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by pitbullmccoy View Post
                  Well it'll have to be for now. I have several things I need to fix before it's road worthy. @ $8 each I'll put them on for a couple of months until I get some other bugs worked out. Thanks for the info. At least I won't be disappointed when they come in.
                  You won't really work out any bugs while you have those $8 specials installed. You would be VERY lucky to get the mixture right with those. Even then, whatever demonic rituals needed for that will be squandered once you get some better parts, since you'll have to start all over to account for the changes.

Even if you have to buy a whole new set, they run $101 on Amazon.

Two crappy pods - $16

Fresh set of new K&N Pods - $101

Not putting a power drill through your temple after chasing jetting demons for 6 weeks - priceless

Comment

Ok I canceled the order. The filter itself isn't split. It's the rubber right in the corner behind the Carb. Ripped half way around when they were pulled off last. Could "possibly " be repaired but I don't know what to use to get it to seal properly and completely. I'll just wait and get a new set. I have some wiring to fix anyway. (Also from the moron I bought it from! Tried to start it and had some wires melt.

Comment

Working...
                    X