Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM won't come down

Hi,
    I just picked up a 1978 GS1000 and turned it into a cafe racer it ran good for a week however today the RPM don't want to come down when I close the throtle, the slides close. The RPM will come down if I back of the idler but it wont idle when I fire it up again.
    Looking for some help.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. georgeg,

The first thing that comes to mind is a failed intake boot O-ring. (See http://cycleorings.com/intake.html.) Has the intake and/or exhaust been modified?

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Check the slides for residue that may cause them to stick and not fully close. Just had this problem myself.

Also do all the things on Basscliff's list. HTH

Comment

If the intake boots have even a tiny leak it will also exhibit these symptoms. I had a similar problem last year. Replacing the o-rings made it slightly better but not completely. In the end, I had to order four new boots and then another o-ring kit to go with it. If no one else has recommended him, Robert Barr sells all the o-rings for a great price and his service is second to none.

Comment

Just to reiterate the importance of it.. Replace the intake O-rings.

Comment

Working...
          X