carb refurb kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb refurb kits

i am currently rebuilding my recently acquired 28's and need some gaskets o'rings etc. saw these kits on ebay and wondered if they would be ok.
    i know you all slate "cheap" rebuild kits but this guy claims they are made for suzuki.
    all the bits i need, and more for a decent price i think. any thoughts?

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    i am currently rebuilding my recently acquired 28's and need some gaskets o'rings etc. saw these kits on ebay and wondered if they would be ok.
    i know you all slate "cheap" rebuild kits but this guy claims they are made for suzuki.
    all the bits i need, and more for a decent price i think. any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3904144147...#ht_1051wt_897
    BikeCliff has this person posted on his site, looks like he has a good selection...

Comment

yeah but i need the gaskets as well, these are all included in the kits
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Those kits look nice, and $0 cheaper than I paid for my kits.
        I also got the O ring set from cycleorings, as well as the o rings between the carb boot and head

Comment

yeah but i need the gaskets as well, these are all included in the kits
          sorry - skipped right past that, I have heard really good stuff about K&L rebuild kits...

Comment

NO!!
            All you need are the orings and gaskets. You can get the gaskets anywhere, including your dealer. I buy mine on ebay. The gaskets, not the kits.
            I've never heard anything good about a K&L carb kit.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Those kits don't have everything you need. "Made for Suzuki" is not the same as "Made by Suzuki." So I don't put much credence in that statement.

You likely don't need the needle and seat bits, and if you do need some, you definitely don't want cheap ones.

Ditto on the air-screws.

Ditto on the pilot jets. If you do find your pilot jets to be too clogged to salvage (not likely), you can get new Mikuni pilots for just a couple bucks each.

Fuel screws are more likely to be needed, since they often break, those kits don't have them.

The kits don't have all the o-rings you need. Bob Barr's kit has 6 or 7 different components, but those kits show only one o-ring for the air screws, nothing for the choke assembly, main/needle jet, fuel screw, fuel tubes or drain plug.

The kits have a main jet in them, but which one? Unless you are rejetting for pods, pipe, etc. your current mains are probably fine, absent damage to the brass.

So don't buy these kits. Instead, get the o-rings from Barr, which you'd need even if you did go with these kits, and pick up new bowl and cover gaskets from Z1 or another vendor. The gaskets are much cheaper on their own than the kits, and the kits have nothing else worth using besides the gaskets.

When you tear the carbs down, if you need to replace any brass, you can get OEM (i.e., Mikuni) bits a la carte for much less than those kits. Mains are like $2 apiece. Fuel screws are a little more, maybe $5 each.

tl:dr - pass on those kits.

Comment

Originally posted by RobG1970 View Post
                sorry - skipped right past that, I have heard really good stuff about K&L rebuild kits...

http://www.klsupply.com/
                Those kits are terrible.

Comment

Although my ongoing carb rebuild has been anything but easy, I have avoided the kits on the recommendation of the more experienced guys here.

This rebuild has taken two months, but most of that time has been playing the waiting game on hard-to-acquire parts. My actual shop time is still at about 4-6 hours.

My cost thus far has been about $20 buying dinner/a beer for my friends I had over just to help for fun, and $15 to Boulevard Suzuki for some parts and shipping. I will probably have to buy the o-ring kit as well, which I will do from cycleorings.com.

I'd agree with these guys and advise you to do the same (don't buy those kits).
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM. Reason: added a short line.

Comment

I think the clue is in the photo. There's what looks like an air jet and a rubber jet bung that you might need for your CV carbs.....so why are they in a kit or VMs?

Having said that, it's the right design of pilot jet that's so often wrong in kits.

I guess if you need bowl gaskets and needle valves / seats then it's cheap enough (needle valves are a tenner each last time I looked).

But definitely get Robert's o ring kit. Sure as eggs are eggs the o rings around the fuel screws and choke plungers will be shot on those new carbs of yours.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      I think the clue is in the photo. There's what looks like an air jet and a rubber jet bung that you might need for your CV carbs.....so why are they in a kit or VMs?

Having said that, it's the right design of pilot jet that's so often wrong in kits.

I guess if you need bowl gaskets and needle valves / seats then it's cheap enough (needle valves are a tenner each last time I looked).

But definitely get Robert's o ring kit. Sure as eggs are eggs the o rings around the fuel screws and choke plungers will be shot on those new carbs of yours.
                      there are parts there i need, and some i dont. the gaskets i need, a couple of the screw springs are missing and the needle valves and seats are well worn.
                      the pilots are usable but the slot heads are in a bad way.
                      mains i am not worried about as i have the stage 3 DJ kit and a bucket full of mikuni jets.
                      just checked on a few prices on alphasports and things arent as cheap as people think they are.......
                      top gasket $7.33 each
                      bottom gasket $9.60 each
                      pilot jet $13.54 each
                      emulsion tube o ring (tiny) $4.74 each

i think these kits would be ok for my needs but if i am wrong then i will hold my hands up and admit i "did bad". ordered
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

there are parts there i need, and some i dont. the gaskets i need, a couple of the screw springs are missing and the needle valves and seats are well worn.
                        the pilots are usable but the slot heads are in a bad way.
                        mains i am not worried about as i have the stage 3 DJ kit and a bucket full of mikuni jets.
                        just checked on a few prices on alphasports and things arent as cheap as people think they are.......
                        top gasket $7.33 each
                        bottom gasket $9.60 each
                        pilot jet $13.54 each
                        emulsion tube o ring (tiny) $4.74 each

i think these kits would be ok for my needs but if i am wrong then i will hold my hands up and admit i "did bad". ordered
                        Oh boy...
                        You've been around long enough to know better.
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                        .................________-|___\____
                        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Alphasports is like the most pricey source for parts. You could get the gaskets from Z1 for

$14 for 4 Bowl gaskets

$13 for 4 Top gaskets

Assuming the same $10 shipping from the eBay ad, you could spend $37 for what you actually need, vs. $75 for what you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                            Alphasports is like the most pricey source for parts. You could get the gaskets from Z1 for

$14 for 4 Bowl gaskets

$13 for 4 Top gaskets

Assuming the same $10 shipping from the eBay ad, you could spend $37 for what you actually need, vs. $75 for what you don't.
                            as i have said, it is NOT just the gaskets i need!
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Wemoto has got the float valve and gasket kit for £17.32 for one carb - no pilot jet or airscrew - so that £10.50 a carb Ebay kit looks decent value for money to me.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X