Hard starting with good valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard starting with good valves?

My valves are good. Checked them last week. Bike struggles with starting though.

Even with warm weather, she needs lots of choke to start and putters at 1000 rpm with full choke for awhile. After some time I can kill choke and salvage the idle with a hearty rev. That seems to break through, because it runs fine thereafter. After running for.while it.starts right up.

Sometimes it won't start unless I open the idle screw more, having to dial it back once it breaks through. The idle doesn't hang or sag.

Ideas?

funny how you dictate your vast carb building knowledge to members old and new, when actually you cant even set your own carbs?????
    try Bascliffs web site tutorial, thats worth a look, or buy a quality carb rebuild kit and start from fresh again.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Have you performed a compression check lately? Only other thing I can think of is carbs.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Have you performed a compression check lately? Only other thing I can think of is carbs.
        Compression is solid and even across all four. Still working through the idle settings but carbs fully cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          funny how you dictate your vast carb building knowledge to members old and new, when actually you cant even set your own carbs?????
          try Bascliffs web site tutorial, thats worth a look, or buy a quality carb rebuild kit and start from fresh again.
          Dictate? Really?

Quality carb rebuild kits come from three sources - Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy. Not gonna wait until Christmas and just missed Easter. Here in the US, we stop losing teeth at about age 12.

Let me know if you have some useful info.

Comment

check your intake boot o rings?
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              check your intake boot o rings?
              They looked pretty good when I took them out of the package last week to install with my new boots. Plus, the idle is fine once the engine gets over this odd kick off obstacle. No hanging or sagging. Last night's low throttle chop showed plugs that were almost right on the money. One or two were just a touch on the rich side, but only barely.

Comment

cleaned your air filters lately?
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Last week, when I rebuilt the carbs with quality parts despite the lack of kits. Since the air filters run all the time, I don't see how a dirty filter would hamper starting but do nothing to the idle otherwise.

Comment

Gunk in your choke pick up tubes or where they pop in the float bowls. Your choke isn't working if she's only revving at 1k.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                      Gunk in your choke pick up tubes or where they pop in the float bowls. Your choke isn't working if she's only revving at 1k.
                      I'll check them again. Note that once it gets over the hump, the revs do climb with choke per normal. It's just the first start up that struggles.

Comment

How long has it usually been since you last ran it? What you describe sounds like being on the verge of needing primed (due to fuel evaporating or leaking from the bowls). If my CV carbs sit for a couple weeks, it takes a little time for them to recover.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          How long has it usually been since you last ran it? What you describe sounds like being on the verge of needing primed (due to fuel evaporating or leaking from the bowls). If my CV carbs sit for a couple weeks, it takes a little time for them to recover.
                          This happens if the bike sits for more than 3-4 hours, overnight, etc.

Comment

new carbs, new fuel tap, new filters. that should cure it
                            1978 GS1085.

Comment

When you cleaned your carbs, did you pull the choke plungers out and make sure everything in that circuit was clear and clean? If everything else you mention has been done, is in speck, and from your explinations, it only seems to happen on a cold engine, it HAS to be in the choke circuit. Is the choke slide pulling the plungers ALL the way out?

Comment

Working...
                              X