Hard starting with good valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
    Gunk in your choke pick up tubes or where they pop in the float bowls. Your choke isn't working if she's only revving at 1k.
    I would have to go with the enrichener tubes, sounds like they are partially plugged.
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Most of the bikes I've had don't accept full choke. Bogs em out. There's usually a "sweet spot" in there somewhere. In between causing it to rocket to 5grand and not starting a all. Burbles along at 1800 or so.
      Anyway, have you looked at your plugs? If you're giving it full choke every time you go to start it you may have carbon fouled them.
      Other than that, I'd take some fine copper strand wire and like through the pick up tubes in the carbs and spray some cleaner through the corosponding passage in the bowls. Watch your eyes. make sure the pattern is even.

If you've any fine sediment/rust in the tank it may be small enough to pass the screen in the petcock...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        When you cleaned your carbs, did you pull the choke plungers out and make sure everything in that circuit was clear and clean? If everything else you mention has been done, is in speck, and from your explinations, it only seems to happen on a cold engine, it HAS to be in the choke circuit. Is the choke slide pulling the plungers ALL the way out?
        I did tale care to check the plungers and blast those passages. But I tend to agree that something there is amiss. I will pull them soon since I need to fine tune the needles and Prolly change the mains soon. Thanks.

Comment

Check the plugs, like the other guy said.. Sooty plugs will give a hard start, but tend to warm up and run normal-ish, like you describe.

You're sure that your Air and Fuel screws are set correctly?

Comment

Fuel about one turn, and air two. Plugs after an idle chop are pretty good.

Comment

Working...
            X