opinions on defouling plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on defouling plugs

i have heard of several people de-fouling spark plugs. i have a good friend who took a propane torch to his just for the sake of getting the engine running for a test or two. i was wondering if any gs'ers had any methods of getting a spark plug to come back to life until you can get new ones.

take em out and clean them! soft wire brush does the trick
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      take em out and clean them! soft wire brush does the trick
      ...and then fix whatever it is that's causing the fouling in the first place?

Comment

If your plug is fouled, then there is something wrong. it is burning oil, or is running rich in the carb department. if the electrodes are burned off, then it either has been in there been in there 30 years , or the heat range is wrong, or the bike is running so lean it's burning stuff!!..
        I do, routinely use a sparkplug sandblaster.. some of the bikes I work on have BRAND NEW, but fouled plugs , cause the carbs are bad or whatever. The Sparkplug sandblaster will make them "ALMOST" new again, but there's nuttin like a new plug. period.
        I do not believe that heating it up or spraying it off with carb cleaner or whatever will really work in all cases because if it is fouled deep inside the recesses of the porcelin, it will still be foulded.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-03-2012, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jesustheplumber View Post
          i have heard of several people de-fouling spark plugs. i have a good friend who took a propane torch to his just for the sake of getting the engine running for a test or two. i was wondering if any gs'ers had any methods of getting a spark plug to come back to life until you can get new ones.
          The torch works your doing right ...But once a plug fouls its on its way out ..But you know that ...Keep cleaning them tell you get the real problem fixed ..Once its fixed get new plugs ...

Comment

Working...
          X